NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
EdD - UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO 2011
leadership, management communication, teaching in higher education
management communication, leadership, organizational behavior
Boards, Memberships, & Certifications
- 2019 Accreditation and Ethics Chair, Public Relations Society of America/San Francisco Bay Area Chapter
- 2018 National Association of Parliamentarians
Licensures and Certifications
- 2000 APR (Accredited in Public Relations), Public Relations Society of America
- Book Chapters
- Friedman, M. S, Become an #AcademicInfluencer: A Blueprint for Building Bridges between the Classroom and Industry.
- Friedman, M. S, (2019). Case Studies on Ethical Leadership: Faculty-Student Relationship and Battling Board Members.
- Book Reviews
- Friedman, M. S, (2020). Review of Selling Sea Power: Public Relations and the U.S. Navy, 1917-1941.
- Journal Articles
- Friedman, M. S, (2020). Key Principles to Achieve Self-Leadership. Public Relations Strategies and Tactics.
- Friedman, M. S, (2018). On the Front Lines: The Role of PIOs in Emergency Response. Public Strategies and Tactics, 2018(October).
- Friedman, M. S, (2016). The 12 Steps of Addiction Recovery Programs as an influence on leadership development: a personal narrative. Journal of Transformative Research, 2(3), 15-23.
- Friedman, M. S, (2013). Developing and teaching the crisis communication course. PRism Journal, 1(10).
- Friedman, M. S, (2012). Leadership development in undergraduate public relations students: A case study. Public Relations Journal, 1(64), 1-33.
- Friedman, M. S., Board of Ethics and Professional Standards, "Ethics Through Leadership and Organizational Lenses," Public Relations Society of America, Zoom webinar. (July 1, 2020).
- Oral Presentations
- Friedman, M. S., 2021 Communications School, "Get Prepared to Speak Impromptu," National Association of Government Communicators, Online. (May 27, 2021).
- Friedman, M. S., International Academy of Business Disciplines, "Public Relations Standards During the Pandemic: Understanding Excellence Within Context and Function". (March 26, 2021).
- Panels (moderator)
- Friedman, M. S., International Academy of Business Disciplines, "How the Public Relations Campaigns Class Can Better Meet the Needs of Nonprofit Community Partners: A Panel Discussion," University of North Florida, FL. (April 1, 2019).
- Friedman, M. S., International Academy of Business Disciplines, "What About the Client in the Public Relations Campaigns Course? A Look at What the Literature Tells Us". (March 26, 2021).
- Friedman, M. S., International Academy of Business Disciplines, "The Public Information Officer’s (PIOs) Participation in the National Incident Management System (NIMS) During Emergency Response: A Pilot Study," University of North Florida. (April 1, 2019).
- Friedman, M. S., Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Educators Academy, "The Public Information Officer’s Role in Emergency Response: A Literature Review," PRSA Educators Academy, University of Texas at Austin, TX. (October 6, 2018).