NPS Thesis Processing: Resources - Thesis Processing Office
Get guides to the most popular citation styles used in NPS theses and workshop information here.
Guidance on reusing the images of others is also provided.
For help with creating thesis dashboards and other tasks in the new Thesis Module in Python, visit our Python help page.
For help with writing your thesis, the Graduate Writing Center offers one-to-one coaching, writing guides, and workshops.
A writing coach can review your work and help you express your ideas clearly, powerfully and concisely.
Please visit its website for more information and to make an appointment.
The "Common Errors: We Mark—You Fix" sheet below outlines our style preferences. For style matters not covered there, refer to the guidelines of your citation manual and/or the following references. Additionally, the Dudley Knox Library and Graduate Writing Center offer easy access to more citation and writing guides.
Top 20 Grammar Errors (from Stanford University)
Past Tense or Present Tense? (from University of Nebraska-Lincoln)
Navy Style Guide (for military terminology)
The Thesis Extension Form is available from your thesis dashboard, top right:
Keep your extension(s) updated with your education technician. This saves you the trouble of reactivating your NPS account when it is time to submit your thesis.
Extension students are expected to adhere to the same submission deadlines as resident students.
The effects of an extension on one's record varies. Military students should see their military service reps for details. Civilian students should speak with their ed techs.
See also Thesis Processing's The Fine Print.
See also the Academic Policy Manual.
- Academic Honor Code: Standards of conduct while completing coursework inside and outside the classroom are outlined here.
- Travel Approval: Some students travel to conduct interviews, present preliminary findings, or access archives. Student travel must be processed through the Travel Office.
- Export-Control Approval: Certain types of information require export-control protection. Export controls are government regulations that manage the transfer of commodities, technologies, and software to non-U.S. entities or individuals. For help, please see the Export Control Officer in the Research and Sponsored Programs Office.
- Copyright Guidance
- Human-Subjects Research: Human-subjects research methods such as surveys and interviews must be cleared with the Institutional Review Board (IRB) before the work is conducted.
- Sponsor PAO Approval: The student's sponsor or faculty member's research sponsor may require review before release. If so, students must contact their sponsors, and faculty members must contact their's, to obtain release approval.
- Proprietary Information Approval: Permission for distribution should be obtained from the individuals and companies as listed in blocks 9 and/or 10 of Standard Form 298 (page iii of the thesis). It is the advisor's responsibility to secure permission before the document is distributed to the NPS Library and DTIC.
Thesis Processing's COVID-19 page:
NPS and TPO affiliates pages:
Dudley Knox Library (DKL)
The Dudley Knox Library contributes to learning, research and teaching—anytime, anywhere—through relevant and evolving collections, tools, services, and spaces designed for NPS patrons of today and tomorrow.
- Website: https://library.nps.edu/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Writing Center (GWC)
Writing coaches and workshop instructors develop the writing and critical thinking skills of NPS students for success in graduate school and as military and civilian leaders.
- Website: https://nps.edu/web/gwc
- Email: email@example.com
Teaching and Learning Commons (TLC)
The TLC creates cross-organizational teams as communities of practice to enhance the quality of NPS education through collaboration that creates and supports innovative and distinctive learning experiences.
Technology Assistance Center (TAC)
The TAC supports the day-to-day operations of NPS by providing software, hardware troubleshooting, cybersecurity, educational management tools, remote access, filesharing and website platforms, audio-visual support, and email.
- Website: https://nps.edu/web/technology/support
- Email: CLEhelp@nps.edu (remote access)
- Email: TAC@nps.edu (other issues)