|Welcome Aboard Video|
Herrmann Hall, Room 022 Monterey, CA 93943-5100
Herrmann Hall, Room 033
Email Student Services
Congratulations and welcome to the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS)! This page describes the check-in process, to include steps you can take to in-process before your arrival, what you need to do upon your arrival, and finally, new student orientation. Your official orders automatically initiates action by the NPS Registrar’s office to input your information into the student database, known as “PYTHON”. Once that is done, the Student Services Office will issue each prospective student an NPS user ID and password via a Welcome Aboard Letter delivered by email. If you are within 30 days of the start of your curriculum and you have not received a welcome aboard letter, please contact Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In an effort to provide you with the best possible service and support, Student Services has developed the option to virtually in-process, which can be completed via the steps in this section. This will greatly reduce the time you will need to physically stand in line at the Student Services Office upon your arrival as most requirements can be completed online and via email. You will still be required to complete a Check-In Sheet, described in further detail in the "Arrival" section. If you prefer to complete in-processing in person, please stop by Student Services on or before the “Report no later than" date on your orders and we will be happy to assist.
- Request NPS User Name and Password (if you have not already received one in your Welcome Aboard Package) by emailing SSO@nps.edu. The “User Name” and “Password” will allow access to NPS webmail at https://webmail.nps.edu. Instructions for you initial password are found in the "Welcome Aboard package." You will be prompted to reset your password on initial log-in.
- Log-in to PYTHON and update all personal/family data. To access PYTHON from off-campus, you will need to download the Citrix client. The Citrix client is available for download at: https://voyager.nps.edu/Citrix/AccessPlatform/clientDetection/downloadNative.aspx.
- Send an appropriate personal photo to SSO@nps.edu. This photo should be a front view from the neck up in .jpeg format. The photo will be uploaded into PYTHON and used by faculty and staff as a means of identification/accountability.
- Notify Student Services when you arrive in the area. If you wish to remain on leave, wait until your leave expires to notify us. This notification will be your effective date “onboard.” Navy students must stop by Student Services to have orders endorsed before checking in with Customer Support Detachment (CSD). This concludes virtual check-in.
Arrival at NPS outside of the dates published on orders is not authorized. Changes or modifications must be accomplished via parent service manpower authorities.
- Upon arrival to the local area and at the termination of authorized leave, notify Student Services that you in the area (email SSO@nps.edu or call 831-656-3813/3812/3847).
- If you wish to complete in-processing in person, please report to the Student Services Office on or before the "Report NLT" date on your orders. You must wear the appropriate seasonal uniform for reporting (USN: SDB/Summer Whites, USMC: Alphas, USAF: Short Sleeved Blues, USA: Class B). The Student Services office is open M-TH 0700-1600 and FRI 0700-1400.
- Complete the Check-in Sheet provided in your Welcome Aboard Package. This must be completed even if you virtually in-process. The Check-in Sheet lists offices in the Monterey area you will need to visit in order to ensure your pay, medical benefits, and other basic needs are established. This must be completed by the end of the first week of classes. Return the completed check-in sheet to Student Services.
- Commence "Daily Muster" by logging into the Student Check-In Page, reading all announcements and completing the instructions at the bottom of the page.
New Student Orientation:
- Attend the New Student Orientation, held in King Hall. This is mandatory for all incoming students. The scheduled presentations are intended to introduce new students to policies, information and services relevant to their stay and study at NPS. All date/time/location information can be found in the Welcome Aboard package or the major events calendar found on the Student Check-In Page (access requires NPS user name and password). This event will last most of the day, so please do not plan other appointments (medical, housing, movers, etc.).
An on-line Student Handbook is maintained by the Dean of Students to officially disseminate NPS policy concerning student matters. ALL students are required to read and comply with the policies set forth in the Student Handbook.
Additional information can be found in the Quick Links (right side of page). Please contact Student Services (SSO@nps.edu or call 831-656-3813/3812/3847) if you have additional questions.
Information on school districts, school related issue/special needs or if you are arriving in the middle of the school year, please contact the NSA Monterey School Liaison Officer Tel (831)656-1008, Cell (831)656-2010, Fax (831)656-7430, or Email LFlynn@ nps.edu.