Herrmann Hall, Room 022 Monterey, CA 93943-5100
Herrmann Hall, Room 033
Email Student Services
Congratulations and welcome to the Naval Postgraduate School! This page describes the check-in process, which includes steps you must take before your first day of classes.
- Step 1: NPS User ID and Password. The Student Service Office will issue you an NPS user ID and password via a Welcome Aboard Letter delivered by email approximately 1 month prior to commencement of classes. NPS User ID and Password are required to access all NPS applications. The email address you designated in your admissions application will be the address used for delivery of the Welcome Aboard Letter. If your email address has changed, you must update it at the following link https://www.nps.edu/Admissions/AMS/Login.aspx. If your email address is up to date but you have not received a Welcome Aboard Letter via email 1 month prior to commencement of classes, please contact the Student Services Office.
- Step 2: Complete Virtual In-Processing. Once you receive your user ID and password, you must complete Virtual In-Processing (VIP). VIP can be accomplished by completing the following:
a. Establish Remote Access. To access NPS Applications from off-campus you will need to establish a virtual desktop, this is accomplished by visiting the Technology Remote Access page.
b. Update Personal/Family Information in PYTHON. Once remote access is established, log-in to PYTHON, click “My Profile,” and update your phone number, address, and your family information. If you do not have a local address, use your current address and update once local residence is established in the Monterey area.
c. Send Identification Photo. Send an appropriate personal photo in any working uniform to SSO@nps.edu. This photo should be a front view from the shoulders up in .jpeg format. The photo will be uploaded into PYTHON and used by faculty and staff as a means of identification.
Day of Arrival:
- Step 3: Check-In at Student Services Office. . You must wear the appropriate seasonal uniform for reporting (USN: SDB/Summer Whites, USMC: Alphas, USAF: Short Sleeved Blues, USA: Class B). The Student Services Office is open M-TH 0700-1600 and FRI 0700-1400.
Note: Arrival at NPS outside of the dates published on orders is NOT AUTHORIZED. Changes or modifications must be accomplished via parent service manpower authorities.
- Step 4: Complete the Check-in Sheet. The Check-in sheet is provided on day of arrival. The Check-in sheet lists offices in the Monterey area you will need to visit in order to ensure your pay, medical benefits, and other basic needs are established. This must be completed by all incoming students by the end of the first week of classes. Once completed, return the check-in sheet to Student Services.
- Step 5: Commence "Daily Muster". Upon your arrival, you will be required to muster daily via the Student Check-In Page. Read all announcements and then follow the instructions at the bottom of the page to complete muster.
- Step 6: Attend New Student Orientation. This will be held in King Hall on the date indicated in your Welcome Aboard Package and on the Student Check-In Page. This is mandatory for all incoming students. The scheduled presentations are intended to introduce new students to information, policies, and resources relevant to their stay and study at NPS. This event will last most of the day. Do not schedule other appointments (e.g., medical, housing, movers, etc.) during this time.
An on-line Student Handbook is maintained by the Dean of Students to officially disseminate NPS policy concerning student matters.
For Information on school districts, school related issue/special needs or if you are arriving in the middle of the school year, please contact the NSA Monterey School Liaison Officer, Ms. Leslie Flynn, via Tel (831) 656-1008, Cell (831) 656-2010, Fax (831) 656-7430, or Email LFlynn@ nps.edu.
Additional information can be found in the Quick Links at the right side of this page. Feel free to contact Student Services at (831) 656-3813 / 3812 / 3847 if you have additional questions.