Incoming Students - Students
March Welcome letters should be sent at the end of January
June Welcome letters should be sent at the end of April
September Welcome letters should be sent at the end of July
December Welcome letters should be sent at the end of October
Congratulations and Welcome to the Naval Postgraduate School
Below is the check-in process for US students, which includes steps you MUST complete before arrival to NPS.
Please visit the IGPO (International Graduate Programs Office) student page for more information.
Arriving students, please stay informed and read the most current and applicable guidance from DoD leadership. Once in the local area please adhere to the local guidance as well.
Waivers for NPS are no longer required for inbound US Navy students. They are waived by NAVADMIN 073/21.
For all incoming students: If you have arrived from an international destination you need to follow DOD guidance and Restriction of Movement (ROM) for 14 days at home. Additionally, contact our ROM support team at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the ROM tracker. For more details see the Force Health Protection Guidance (Supplement 12).
Until further notice, check-ins will be conducted virtually. Welcome aboard letters are sent around a month prior. If you are within 30 days of your report date, and have not received information on how to check in, contact student affairs at email@example.com . You will need a computer with internet access and a telephone to complete the initial check-in.
Procedures for bringing firearms into California: If you are traveling with and plan to keep firearms while in California please click HERE for further instructions.
- Step 1: NPS User ID and Password. The Student Services Office will issue you an NPS user ID and password via a Welcome Aboard Letter delivered by email approximately 1 month prior to commencement of classes. NPS User ID and Password are required to access all NPS applications. The email address you designated in your admissions application will be the address used for delivery of the Welcome Aboard Letter. If your email address has changed, you must update it at the following link NPS Online Application Form. If your email address is up to date but you have not received a Welcome Aboard Letter via email 1 month prior to commencement of classes, please contact the Student Services Office.
- Step 2: Complete Virtual In-Processing. Once you receive your user ID and password, you must complete Virtual In-Processing (VIP). VIP can be accomplished by completing the following (Pictorial Guide):
- a. Update/Change Password. First change your 'temp-password'. Then create a 'password profile' to be able to self-unlock your account if it becomes locked by going to Self-Service Password Management
- b. Access your Email. Access your email via NPS Mail365 (Must be accessed once/month to remain active)
- c. Establish Remote Access. To access NPS Applications from off-campus, establish a virtual desktop by using 'Cloudlab HTML Access' via the Technology Remote Access page.
- d. Update Personal/Family Information in PYTHON. Once remote access is established, log-in to PYTHON, click “My Profile,” and update your phone number, address, and your family information. If you do not have a local address, use your current address and update once local residence is established in the Monterey area.
- e. Send Identification Photo. Send an appropriate personal photo in any working uniform to SA@nps.edu. This photo should be a front view from the shoulders up in .jpeg format. The photo will be uploaded into PYTHON and used by faculty and staff as a means of identification.
- Step 3: Check-In at Student Services Office. Check-Ins will be conducted virtually. DO NOT COME IN PERSON UNLESS YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT. Click HERE once you are in the local area and ready to begin your official check-in process (YOU MUST BE IN THE LOCAL AREA TO CHECK-IN UNLESS TOLD OTHERWISE BY AN NPS STAFF MEMBER) . A member from the Student Services team will contact you to complete your check-in. Please allow 3 business days for a team member to contact you after your initial check-in. If you have not heard from Student Services after three days email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: Arrival at NPS outside of the dates published on orders requires exceptional circumstances and should be coordinated in advance with your parent manpower authorities and NPS student services.
- Step 4: Complete the Check-in sheet. (DO NOT COMPLETE UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE AREA AND CHECKING IN IAW YOUR ORDERS) The Check-in sheet lists offices in the Monterey area you will need to contact in order to ensure your pay, medical benefits, and other basic needs are established. This must be completed by all incoming students by the end of the first week of classes. Once completed, return the check-in sheet to Student Services (electronically).
- Step 5: Commence "Daily Muster". Upon your arrival, you will be required to muster daily via the Student Check-In Page. Read all announcements and then follow the instructions at the bottom of the page to complete muster.
- Step 6: Attend New Student Orientation. This will be held virtually beginning on the date indicated on the events calendar on the Student Check-In Page. A link will be featured on the muster page once available. This is mandatory for all incoming students to view all recordings and power points. The presentations are intended to introduce new students to information, policies, and resources relevant to their stay and study at NPS. This must be completed by all incoming students by the end of the first week of classes.
The following videos are provided as an informal introduction to NPS and the surrounding area.
Student Handbook: Maintained by the Dean of Students to disseminate NPS policy concerning student matters.
Additional information can be found in the Resource Links on the right side of this page.
K-12th School related issues/special needs: Please contact the NSA Monterey School Liaison Officer, via Tel (831) 242-6904
NPS Student Services
1 University Circle Herrmann Hall, Rm. 039
Monterey, CA 93943-5100
1 University Circle Herrmann Hall, Rm. 019
Monterey, CA 93943-5100
NPS Phone Directory: Here