Research Professor, Physics
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, CA 93943
B.A. Physics, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT, 1976
M.S. Materials Science, U. Wisconsin-Madison 1977
PhD Materials Science, U. Wisconsin-Madison 1981
Post-doc Technion, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Haifa, Israel 1982
Professor (Full) Penn State University (1982-1999)
Department of Chemical Engineering
University Park, PA 16801
Technical Staff Member (1999-2010), Los Alamos National Lab
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545
Distinguished National Lab Professor (2000-2011)
University of New Mexico
Dept. Of Mechanical Engineering
Albuquerque, NM 87103
Chief Scientist (2010- )
The Materials Foundry
Sand City, CA 93955
Poste Rouge, Fellowship 9/90-6/91,
Centre National Research Scientifique,
Institut de Recherches sur la Catalyse,Villeurbanne, FRANCE
Fulbright Fellow, Israel 9/97-7/98
Ben Gurion University
Dept. of Chemical Engineering
R&D 100 award, 2004
Nano 50 award, 2005
130 Reviewed Publications
14 Issued Patents (7 licensed)
More than 2400 citations
Advisor to 7 post-doctoral fellows, 11 (completed) PhD students and 19 (completed) MS students
Currently advisor or co-advisor to five MS students at NPS
More than 225 presentations at national, and international meetings
150. AlHaik, M., J. Phillips, C. Luhrs and M. R. Taha, ‘Hybrid Carbon Fiber Carbon Nanotube Structures’, US Patent 8,277,872 (2012).
151. Phillips, J., C.C. Luhrs, M. AlHaik and Z. Leseman. ‘Rapid Generation of Carbon Woven Filament Structures of Controlled Geometry at Low Temperatures’, US Patent 8,298,615 (2012).
152. Zea, H., C.C. Luhrs and J. Phillips..‘Reductive/Expansion Synthesis of Zero Valent Sub-Micron and Nano Metal Particles’, J. Mat. Res. 26, 672 (2011).
153. Atwater,M.A. J. Phillips and Z. Leseman. ‘Accelerated growth of carbon nanofibers using physical mixtures and alloys of Pd and Co in an ethylene-hydrogen environment’ Carbon 49, 1058 (2011).
154. Wakeland,S., Yuehua Cui, Angela Knapp, Monique Richard, Jonathan Phillips and Claudia Luhrs, ‘Multilayered Nanoparticles Generated by Plasma Methods for Energy Storage Applications’ Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters 4, 316-322 (2012).
155. Luhrs, C.C., M. Kane, Z. Leseman and J. Phillips, ‘Novel Process for Solid State Reduction of Metal Oxides and Hydroxides’, Metal. And Mater. Trans B, in press.
156. Leseman, Z., M. Atwater, A.K. Mousavi and J. Phillips, ‘Synthesis and Characterization of Carbon Foams’, in review, Carbon