The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), OPNAV (N95), and The Consortium for Robotics and Unmanned Systems Education and Research (CRUSER) are pleased to announce the TWELFTH International Mine Warfare Technology Symposium in Monterey, California, May 24-26, 2016.
The International Mine Warfare Technology Symposium series is the only Navy-sponsored event solely focused on naval mine warfare and associated technologies and is only held every other year.
The Symposium is unclassified with foreign participation invited, expected, and welcome. Naval and Industry plenary speakers will address a broad range of topics including the current status, operational reports, future concepts, and requirements for naval mines, mine countermeasures and technologies, and unmanned maritime systems and concepts. Technical break-out sessions will showcase basic scientific and emerging technology research with applications to the undersea environment and specialized sessions focused on a broad spectrum of advanced undersea warfare systems and mine warfare applications. Many of the topics covered will exploit unmanned systems to aid in meeting particular technical requirements and to provide requisite capabilities. This symposium is being collaboratively hosted by CRUSER, chartered by the Undersecretary of the Navy, and hence topics more directly related to unmanned systems, such as propulsion, autonomy, experimentation, guidance and control, and energy to name a few, will also be addressed in break-out sessions.
We are pleased to announce that the Mine Warfare Association (MINWARA) will once again join NPS to co-sponsor this event. MINWARA is a non-profit, educational association that began in 1995 and is devoted to education and the raising of awareness concerning mines. Their purpose is to strengthen the national security of the United States and to assist in the attainment of international security and humanitarian objectives of the United States as set forth by the President of the United States. MINWARA is a Department of the Navy DAEO Recognized Scientific, Technical, Education, or Professional Organization IAW JER 3-206.b(3) organization. More information is available on their website: www.minwara.org.
From the Organizing Committee
Rick Williams, Clyde Scandrett, Andres Larraza
Plenary sessions will take place each morning of the Symposium.
We are pleased to announce the following confirmed Plenary Speakers:
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Expeditionary Programs and Logistics Management) in the office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Research, Development & Acquisition)
- Director of Expeditionary Division (N95)
- Commander, Naval Surface and Mine Warfighting Development Center
- Program Officer & Team Lead, Mine Warfare And Ocean Engineering, Office of Naval Research
- Division Technical Director, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Panama City Division
Commodore Christopher A. Merwin
- COMEODGRU ONE
Technical sessions will take place each afternoon and addressing a range of topics.
Each technical session will feature up to 6 presentations.
- A listing of plenary and technical sessions will be included in the Symposium program provided to each attendee.
- Abstracts, although not required, are encouraged and will be provided with session listings in the program.
The Symposium will take place over a two and a half day period - from the morning of 24 May until midday on 26 May. We are planning for an optional event on the afternoon of 26 May.
The registration table will be open from 1500-1800 on 23 May and again each morning of the event beginning at 0700.
Additional no-host social events will be planned. Watch this website for more information.
Richard (Rick) Williams, III (RADM, USN retired)
Naval Postgraduate School, Expeditionary and Mine Warfare
Naval Postgraduate School Department of Physics
Chair, Undersea Warfare Academic Group
Naval Postgraduate School Department of Applied Mathematics
Dean, Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Science
Naval Postgraduate School, Program Analyst, Undersea Warfare
- Advanced Undersea Weapons System
- Open Architecture and Technology Insertion
- CRUSER: Unmanned Systems Technologies for the Fleet
- Littoral Combat Ship
- Unmanned Systems
- CRUSER: Advanced Concepts for Future Unmanned Systems
- Feature-Based Navigation and Change Detection
- Unique MIW Approaches
Abstract and Presentation Submission Information:
- Abstracts are not mandatory, however all abstracts received by 02 May 2016 will be included in the Symposium program. The program will be made available to all attendees. Please forward abstracts to email@example.com.
- Please limit Abstracts to 1 page or less.
- ONLY papers or slide presentations received before the completion of the 12th Symposium (24-26 May 2016) may be included in The Proceedings.
- All papers must be in English.
- You MUST include a completed Paper Submission Form with your presentation (download the form below).
- Uniformed formatting for all submissions, see below.
Abstract Text and Page Format: .pdf submissions only
• 8.5” x 11” paper size
• 1.5” margins on all sides
• Single column
• Single spaced, left aligned
• 12 point type, Times New Roman font
• Page numbering, headers and footer are not allowed
• Title and author in upper and lower case (not all caps)
• Title in 18 point type, centered (not all caps)
• Author’s name and institution following title 14 point type, centered (not all caps)
Please make sure the media is appropriately marked and includes the corresponding author’s name and contact information (phone number and email address).
- Papers and PPT presentations will be published in the Symposium Proceedings unless authors or presenters specifically states otherwise (see submission form for more information).
- Video content may be deleted in The Proceedings due to size constraints.
Questions? Please email Laurie: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Symposium Co-Sponsor, The Mine Warfare Association (MINWARA), is accepting registration for the symposium.
Please watch this location for more information regarding our optional event on the afternoon of 26 May 2016.
DUE BY 02 May 2016
You may Fax this document to (+1) 831-656-2350: Attention Mr. Andy Andersen, NPS Security Manager.
Or, you may save the completed form as a .pdf and attach it to an email: email@example.com
As a courtesy to the symposium coordinators, please copy your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
REMINDER: If you are an official visitor (representing your country) you need to contact your Embassy to start the Visit Request process as soon as possible.
We are pleased to announce that the Embassy Suites by Hilton Monterey Bay Seaside will be the venue, and they will have a limited block of rooms available for attendees.
- NOTE: The hotel deadline for booking rooms at the reduced rates is 04 May 2016! Book early to assure the Symposium rate.
TAD/GOVERNMENT ATTENDEES TRAVELING ON ORDERS
If you are traveling on TAD Orders:
- Please use this TAD Attendee link - as part of the Navy Approval to host this event we are allowed a total of 50 TAD attendees. If you will be traveling on TAD orders please send an email to Laurie and let her know! Include your name, command, and any information on intended presentations.
- After entering the dates of your stay please use Group Code: "TAD"
OTHER WONDERFUL ATTENDEES
For those not traveling on TAD Orders, we are thrilled that you'll be joining us:
- For those not on TAD status please use this Mine Warfare Attendee Link to make your reservations! Please also send an email to Laurie to let her know that you plan to attend. Include your name, organization, and any informaiton on intended presentations.
- After entering the dates of your stay please use Group Code: "MW6"
As mentioned, this is a limited block of rooms. They are first come, first reserve. If they sell out, or if you simply wish to stay someplace else, here are some of the closest options:
Other Local Hotels:
1400 Del Monte Blvd.
Seaside, CA 93955
Ph: (831) 394-5335
0.1 miles from venue
2401 Del Monte Avenue
Monterey, CA 93940
Ph: (831) 373-7100
0.3 miles from venue
2600 Sand Dunes Drive
Monterey, CA 93940
0.4 miles from venue
1 Old Golf Course Road
Monterey, CA 93940
2.1 miles from venue
Shuttle from the venue to the Naval Postgraduate School for the optional event on the afternoon of 26 May will be arranged. More information available soon.