"Readiness Through Safety"
Navy Policy is to provide a safe and healthful workplace for all personnel. The Navy achieves these conditions through an aggressive and comprehensive program fully endorsed by the Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) and implemented through the appropriate chain of command.
It is the mission of the NPS Occupational Safety, Health, and Environmental (OSHE) Directorate to save lives and provide academic and research readiness. We accomplish this mission through the use of leading indicators – proactive, preventive and predictive measures to identify risks and mediate them through process improvement measures.
Command leadership is fully committed to preventing and/or minimizing personal injuries/illness and damage to Navy facilities as evidenced by Naval Support Activity's OSH Policy Statement & the Naval Postgraduate School OSHE Policy Statement. A safe and healthy work environment is achieved through the management of a comprehensive NAVOSH program identified in OPNAVINST 5100.23 (series) and the Environmental Readiness Program OPNAVINST 5090.1D . The NAVOSH program primarily features annual workplace inspections, compliance with applicable standards, prompt abatement of identified hazards, OSH training, reporting procedures, mishap investigations, industrial hygiene, and more.
Topics covering chemical stressors and Health & Safety Programs is covered in the information briefs.
Safety News & Events
- Please see our Coronavirus Page for local guidance and the latest information from the CDC on this ongoing outbreak.
- The Monthly Safety Talk for February 2020 is on Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs)
- Motorcycle Safety Training Schedule & Registration.
- Slips Trips and Falls - Our #1 Cause of Mishaps! (read more)
- Link for recording a Mishap, Near Miss, or Property Damage in ESAMS