Summaries - Research
Back Modeling, Analysis and Design of the Energy Storage System for a Naval Facility with Focus on Energy Efficiency and Energy Security.
|Division||Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Science|
|Department||Electrical & Computer Engineering|
|Investigator(s)||Oriti, Giovanna M.|
|Sponsor||Naval Facilities Engineering and Expeditionary Warfare Center (Navy)|
The focus of this project is to create a design tool that can be used to determine the size, distribution and best location for the energy storage system (ESS) needed to ensure the efficient and secure operation of a naval facility. Input parameters to the design tool will include:
- The facility’s critical loads. These are the loads necessary for the successful operation of the military facility and which must be powered at all times.
- Distributed resources available inside the facility (e.g., photovoltaic sources and backup diesel generators)
- Number of days of autonomy required to operate in an islanded mode from the external power grid
- Geographical location and available space inside the facility
- Energy security requirements
|Keywords||Energy Security electric power systems energy storage systems microgrids|