Summaries - Office of Research & Innovation
Back Simulation Experiments and Efficient Design Center Support to Marine Corp Combat Development Command Operations Analysis Division Austere Basing Study
|Division||Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Science|
|Investigator(s)||Hernandez, Alejandro D.S.|
|Sponsor||Marine Corps Combat Development Command (Marine Corps)|
The need for a concept of operations for using austere bases arises from the emerging attributes of the Air Sea Battle (ASB); the ASB itself flows from the Joint Operational Access Concept (JOAC). The JOAC is a response to the evolving threat of Anti-Access/Area Denial (A2/AD) operations. Such operations, especially in the form of Theater Ballistic Missiles and Long Range Precision Strike complicate planning and executing amphibious operations. The A2/AD threat may manifest in other forms (e.g., unconventional attacks, human shields).
The SEED Center will provide technical assistance, on an ‘on call' basis, to the OAD Austere Basing study. The areas of technical assistance will include model development (using OAD's chosen model, Pythagoras), design of computational experiments, execution of the simulation runs on HPC assets, and analysis of output data. Design of computer experiments may employ the following techniques:
- Factor screening: exploring a broad set of variables in order to select a smaller set of influential variables meriting further study,
- Response surface modeling: exploring a set of variables in a manner that supports the estimation of a ‘response surface' meta-model,
- Iterative/adaptive design: automated multi-stage experimentation,
- Robust design: seeking configurations of "controllable variables" that perform well despite uncertainty in "uncontrollable variables", and
- Automated red-teaming (or blue-teaming): using an evolutionary algorithm to try to ‘break' (or improve) a given plan or alternative.
|Publications||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|