Summaries - Office of Research & Innovation
Back Joint Fires in Support Distributed Maritime Operations
|Division||Research & Sponsored Programs|
|Department||NPS Naval Research Program|
Boger, Dan C.
Miller, Scot A.
|Sponsor||NPS Naval Research Program (Navy)|
The ability to exchange and fuse Joint sensor data to build a Joint CTP and share target quality data between Navy and Joint fire cells (Army and Marine Corps) could become a critical component in controlling the ever expanding battlespace.
As the Distributed Maritime Operation (DMO) concept evolves, the idea of Joint Fires in support of DMO is gaining traction. This study would explore options and concepts for employment of Joint assets in support of Maritime Operations, and enable Maritime calls for fire supported by land based assets.
This is aimed at increasing “cross-domain” fires where Expeditionary forces provide Fires in support of Maritime operations in real time. This includes rockets and artillery against maritime targets, providing Sea Control and establishing friendly A2AD. The increased use of cross-domain sensors and fires requires integrating sensors, networks and communications to support fires between different domains, ensuring accurate targeting and Combat ID.
This study would investigate existing capabilities and evolving concepts and exploration of the current state of the art, as well as the effects on the FTG.
Approach, includes leveraging NPS Littoral Operations Center.
1. Survey existing Joint fires processes and procedures. Create as-is functional flow, with focus on information and data elements
2. With sponsor, develop two use cases which highlight the potential for Joint fires ISO DMO. Define MOE/MOPs
3. Determine if modifications to current DOTMLPF are needed to support JF ISO DMO, by applying DOTMLPF to the use cases
4. Based on #3, develop recommendations for adjusting current JF to support DMO, including impact on FTG
5. Wargame findings with group of SMEs
1. Report on as-is functional decomposition of JF
2. JF ISO DMO use cases, with associated MOE/MOPs
3. Report on DOTMLPF analysis with recommendations
4. Report on war game/brainstorming session with SMEs
5. Summarizing thesis
|Publications||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|
|Data||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|