Summaries - Office of Research & Innovation
Back Counter Directed Energy Warfare (CDEW)
|Division||Research & Sponsored Programs|
|Department||NPS Naval Research Program|
Green, John M.
Cohn, Keith R.
Blau, Joseph A.
Johnson, Bonnie W.
|Sponsor||NPS Naval Research Program (Navy)|
Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) will proliferate and become a threat exploited by adversaries due to high potential mission success and low cost compared to traditional weapons. Counter DEW (CDEW) methods and capabilities will be required to succeed. This study will examine the rapid development and potential use of high energy laser (HEL) and high-power microwave (HPM)/high power radio frequency (HPRF) technologies as threats against us by adversaries. DEWs, for the purposes here, are systems that radiate energy from a source and deliver that energy to a target in a manner and/or quantity which causes target damage, disruption or neutralization. This study will identify strategies, means, and novel methodologies for countering the efficacy of potential adversarial DEWs. CDEW seeks to address directed energy threats in an operational space containing three layers of defense: detection, mitigation, and protection.
• Are active or passive protection and limiters against HEL or HPRF including modeling of effects to materials, electronics and sensors possible?
• Are threats accurately characterized, with means or novel methodologies for countering the efficacy of directed energy weapons systems well understood?
• If threat based DE weapons are employed against friendly forces, what is the impact to mission capabilities when protections are implemented?
• Project report: “Counter Directed Energy Weapons"
• Analysis results in the form of briefings and reports
• Possible publications or papers for conference proceedings
|Publications||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|
|Data||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|