Summaries - Research
Back Planning for Climate Change
|Division||Research & Sponsored Programs|
|Department||Naval Research Program|
|Investigator(s)||Murphree, James T.|
|Sponsor||NPS Naval Research Program (Navy)|
We will address several major issues in this study, which can be described in terms of the following questions:
1. What are the major Navy-relevant climate changes in recent decades, and what are their associated operational impacts?
2. What were the main risks, opportunities, and impacts for Navy operations of these climate changes?
3. What are the optimal data sets for quantifying those changes and impacts?
4. What are the optimal risk / opportunity management and planning processes to use in dealing with those risks / opportunities?
5. How can the methods developed for analyzing prior climate changes and operational impacts be used to plan for future changes and impacts?
6. What are the Navy organizations and planning processes for which the impacts of climate change are most critical?
7. How should those planning processes be modified to better account for those impacts?
We will use the answers to these questions to address our major study objectives, which are to design, test, and recommend methodologies for:
a. Identifying high risk / opportunity climate changes and their operational impacts
b. Quantitatively assessing the uncertainties in climate change projections and their impacts
c. Improving processes for planning and managing climate change risks / opportunities
The methodologies that result from this study will contribute to improved planning and operations by Navy organizations responsible for a wide range of activities, including climate and long-lead information dominance, intelligence, infrastructure management, energy management and security, theater security, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, global security, and international relations.
|Publications||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|
|Data||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|