Summaries - Office of Research & Innovation
Back Using Virtual Environments to assess Human-Robot Teams during MAGTF Operations
|Division||Research & Sponsored Programs|
|Department||NPS Naval Research Program|
Brutzman, Donald P.
Fitzpatrick, Christian R.
|Sponsor||NPS Naval Research Program (Navy)|
With the emergence of robots on the battlefield, it will be critical for the Marine Corps to tactically integrate existing unmanned assets with manned systems during MAGTF operations. In parallel, the Marine Corps must also look forward to identify capability gaps that future unmanned systems could address. To do both would require extensive field testing, which is unfeasible and costly. This effort proposes to create a methodology to use virtual environments (VEs) created in SPIDERS 3D to model manned and unmanned systems performing tactical mission sets to conduct scenario-based assessments.
1. Conduct a wargame with research sponsors to define a relevant tactical environment and specific behaviors for unmanned-manned teaming operations.
2. Begin building a scenario in SPIDERS 3D using models from the SAVAGE 3D model library to simulate tactical events outlined during the wargame.
3. Model the behaviors defined in the wargame using the SimKit Discrete Event Simulation (DES) methodology
4. Build a process by which incoming MOVES students can continue to add to the capability of the virtual environment through student thesis work
5. Document progress and make recommendations for future growth. Building a fully capable virtual environment will be a several year effort. Seek transition partners for the longer term.
1. Survey report of interdependence and related topics from a simulation point of view.
2. Technology demonstration of an interdependence virtual environment.
3. Concept of operations for advancing the interdependent virtual environment.
4. Recommendation report for a way forward, including possible transition partners.
5. Two student theses outlining the use of VEs for scenario-based assessments.
|Publications||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|
|Data||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|