Summaries - Office of Research & Innovation
Back Developing and Sustaining a Modern Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Workforce
|Department||Energy Academic Group (EAG)|
|Investigator(s)||Howard, Alan R.|
|Sponsor||Office of Naval Research (Navy)|
This proposal supports ONR and The University of Hawaii, West O’ahu (UN-WO) in developing and sustaining a modern workforce, including management professionals, who are
- Cognizant of energy considerations when designing, developing, operating and maintaining national security facilities such as shipyards and NAVFAC infrastructure, and
- Understand tools such as cost estimating and engineering economics that permit rational decision-making among energy alternatives, such as photovoltaic, wind turbines, LEDS, solid-state lighting, and so on.
As part of developing and sustaining a modern workforce,
- The University of Hawaii, West O’ahu (UN-WO) has developed a Bachelor of Applied Sciences with a concentration in Facilities Management Program, graduates from which will become certified through the International Facility Management Association (IFMA).
- NPS will support ONR and UH-WO by designing, developing and delivering two relevant courses, a five-day certificate course, and a one-semester course, both to be offered on the UH-WO campus. These courses will
- Provide practical and relevant case studies on energy and facilities
- Introduce students to the concepts and principles of cost estimating
- Emphasize a practical perspective for students to become informed consumers of cost estimating assumptions, principles, methodologies and risks, as well as providing the initial skills to become competent practitioners.
- Establish the students’ ability to ask the right questions of cost estimates that are presented to them, as well as be able to perform a full life cycle cost estimate on their own.
Other support-- UH-WO will provide the usual and customary workplace support, to include classroom space appropriate for 30 students (with internet, projector, white boards, etc.), office space with telephone, standard office supplies, guest privileges on the local Wi-Fi network, and reproduction services and supplies as required. If outside computer equipment may not be used, client will provide the necessary equipment.
|Publications||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|
|Data||Publications, theses (not shown) and data repositories will be added to the portal record when information is available in FAIRS and brought back to the portal|