McMillan Airfield (R-2504) - Office of Research & Innovation
McMillan Airfield (R-2504)
The Naval Postgraduate School Field Laboratory at McMillan Airfield (NPS-FL MAF) (designated CA62) is the major faculty for operating fixed-wing and multi-rotor sUAS. It is located near the Camp Roberts California Army National Guard Training Site southern boundary at 35° 43’N 120° 46’W. The McMillan’s runway that can be used for operations is 3,500ft long, 65ft wide with 10ft shoulders and lays on a heading of 281 degrees 920ft above the sea level. The airfield is located at the south-east corner of the restricted area R-2504 which is about 5-miles wide and 9.5-miles long and extends from the surface up to 15,000ft mean sea level. There are a few more areas to operate sUAS within R-2504 besides CA62 including the Camp Roberts Collective Training Facility for simulation of a real-world operational environment.
- NPS conducts quarterly week-long experimentation at NPSFL-MAF, and all inquires should be made through the NPS Field Experimentation Program (JIFX) Director. The schedule of upcoming events could be found here. Preparation for the event incudes filing an on-line request.
- If you want to schedule an individual testing event or join other faculty with their events scheduled already you need to contact the NPS-FL MAF Site Manager who manages McMillan Airfield facility directly. All events need to be scheduled 90 days in advance.
- Documentation required to operate at NPS-FL MAF includes UAS photo, UAS Questionnaire, and DD Form 2977 Deliberate Risk Assessment Worksheet (sample package - zip file).
- You need to provide NPS-FL MAF with a List of Attendees (see example) and Approved NPS Flight Schedule (see example) at least three business day before the scheduled event. The request for approval should be submitted through NPS UAS Ops with "Camp Roberts Approval Request" in the subject line.
- Driving directions to McMillan Airfield can be found here.
- If you do not have a CAC card, ensure that you have a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and valid vehicle registration.
- NPS-FL MAF Operations Procedure Guide can be found here.