About the NPS IRB
The IRB’s primary responsibility is to ensure the safety and welfare of human research subjects. IRB roles, responsibilities and authorities include but are not limited to:
- Recommend approval, require modification to secure approval, table or defer review or disapprove human subject research.
- Take any action necessary to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects.
- Suspend or terminate human subject research that has been associated with unexpected serious harm to subjects or is in non-compliance with human research protection policy.
- Conduct prospective and continuing review of human subject research.
- Conduct prospective review and approval of changes to previously approved research.
- Reviews all audit findings or other reports (e.g., medical monitor reports) related human subject research.
- Dr. Larry Shattuck, Senior Lecturer, OR (Chair)
- LCDR Brennan Cox, USN (Incoming Vice Chair)
- Dr. Ken Euske, Professor, GSBPP (Vice Chair)
- Dr. Kathryn Aten, Assistant Professor, GSBPP
- Mr. Michael McCarrin, Research Associate, CS
- MAJ Jared Shingleton, USA, Analyst, TRAC Monterey
- Dr. Quinn Kennedy, Lecturer, OR
- Dr. Christopher Darnton, Assistant Professor, NSA
- Mr. Tony Kendall, Lecturer, IS
- Dr. Leo Blanken, Assistant Professor, DA
- Dr. Bradley Strawser, Assistant Professor, DA
- Mr. Gregory Miller, Senior Lecturer, SE
- MAJ Paul Lester, USA, Director, Army Analytics Group
- Maj. Elizabeth Combs, USAF, NSA Student Rep
Interested in joining the IRB? Contact Dr. Larry Shattuck for more information.