Carmel Shore (COA) - Office of Research & Innovation
Carmel Shore (COA)
NPS possesses FAA COA#: 2020-WSA-6239-USN-DOD waiver to operate sUAS along Carmel shore. UAS operations are limited to 400ft above the ground/water. Swarm or multiple UAS operations may not be compatible with this site.
This site has significant environmental protections, including Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Marine Mammal protection requirements. As such, advance planning is needed:
- The pilot is required to seek permission from CA State Parks for flights over land (www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21557)
- The pilot is required to seek permission from the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS) for flights over water (montereybay.noaa.gov/resourcepro/permit/permits_need.html)
- To join / schedule a test event contact Prof Mara Orescanin at (831) 656-3233 or firstname.lastname@example.org with "Carmel Shore Testing" in the subject line.
- To operate along Carmel shore, the DD Form 2977 Deliberate Risk Assessment Worksheet is required (see example).
- Email request for approval of Flight Schedule form to NPS UAS Ops with "Carmel Approval Request" in the subject line, at least three business day before the scheduled event (see example).
Dr. Oleg Yakimenko
Associate Dean of Research
NPS UAS Ops Executive Board