The mission of the Operations Research Department is to provide premier graduate education in military operations research and to produce high-quality, objective, academically rigorous research and professional advice in support of military- and security-related operations.
Our Department is one of the oldest, largest, and most highly respected OR departments in the U.S. It is without peer in terms of the extent to which graduate education is integrated with a commitment to solving real military problems. Our students and faculty use the latest mathematical modeling ideas and computing technology to penetrate deeply into the analysis of important real-world problems. Analysis is a key word; NPS operations researchers frequently influence decisions and serve as agents for change.
We educate analysts so that they are fully capable of conducting independent analytical studies of military problems, and to provide an educational basis for continued learning and development.
- MS in Operations Analysis
- MS in Operational Logistics
- MS in Systems Engineering Analysis
- MS in Human Systems Integration (HSI)
- PhD in Operations Research
- Master of Systems Analysis
- Master of Human Systems Integration
- Master of Cost Estimation and Analysis
- All degree granting programs open to qualified students
- Open to working with stakeholders to construct programs to meet their educational requirements
See a list of OR Seminars here! (Internal users only)
Research and Facilities
- Focus on analysis to defend critical infrastructure
- Focus on simulation experiments, efficient design
- We help to enable individuals and their commands to design their daily work and rest schedules to achieve better crew endurance, healthier quality of life, and optimal combat effectiveness.
- The Warfare Innovation Continuum, led by Professor of Practice Jeff Kline (Captain U.S. Navy, retired), is an ongoing project with cross-campus educational and research activities exploring the creation of asymmetric warfighting advantages across all domains.
- The Wargaming Activity Hub, led by Dr. Jeff Appleget (Colonel U.S. Army, retired), serves as the focal point for the DoD, its allies, and partners to access the unique wargaming capabilities of NPS students and faculty.
7 | 1 | 3
MS Degrees Offered | PhD | DL
4 | 2
Centers | Labs
Contact the OR Department
|Department Chair||W. Matthew Carlyle|
|Associate Chair for Instruction||Dr. Kyle Lin|
|Associate Chair for Research||Roberto Szechtman|
|Associate Chair for Distributed Programs||Dr. Steve Pilnick|
|Academic Associate||Dr. David Alderson|
|Program Officer (360)||CAPT Morgan|
|Program Officer (361)||CDR Geiser|
Local Contact Information
|Address||1411 Cunningham Road |
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, CA 93943-5219
|Location||Glasgow Hall, Bldg. 302, 2nd Floor, Room 239|