Hobson Website - Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Professor Garth V. Hobson
Department of Mechanical
and Aerospace Engineering
Naval Postgraduate School
700 Dyer Road, Room 137
Monterey, California 93943-5146
phone: (831) 656-2888
fax: (831) 656-2864
The main courses I have taught are:
AA2042 Fundamentals of Thermo and Fluid Dynamics
AA2043 Fundamentals of Gas Dynamics
AA3451 Aircraft and Missile Propulsion (Dist. Learning)
AA3501 Aerodynamic Analysis (Distance Learning)
AA3802 Advanced Aeronautical Measurements
AA4632 Computer Methods in Aeronautics (Dist. Learning)
AA4507 Computational Fluid Dynamics (Dist. Learning)
ME3450 Computational Methods in Mechanical Engineering
ME3240 Marine Power and Propulsion
ME2201 Introduction to Fluid Mechaincs
ME4225 Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer(Dist. Learning)
My main research areas are:
Gas Turbine Aerothermodynamics
High Speed UAV and Missile Propulsion
MPEG of the Shrouded Microjet running in the test stand
MPEG of the Shrouded Microjet running in the FreeJet
Non-intrusive Measurements in Turbomachines
Fan and Compressor Stall
Low Speed Cascade Wind Tunnel
Turbine Tip Leakage Flows
Turbine of Space Shuttle Main Engine, High Pressure Fuel Turbopump
Computational Fluid Dynamics of Turbomachines
List of Publications:
- Gannon, A. J., Hobson, G. V., Shea, M. J., Clay, C. S. and Millsaps, K. T., “MEMS Scale Turbomachinery Based Vacuum Roughing Pump,” GT2013-95885, Best Paper Award for Small Turbomachinery Committee, San Antonio, TX, June 2013. ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, 136(10), August 2014 (also Best Paper Award in Microturbines Technical Sub-Committee).
- Gannon, A. J., Hobson, G. V., Hedges, C. and Descovich, G. L., “Investigation and Prediction of Steam-Induced Stall-Margin Reduction in Two Transonic Rotor Fans,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, August 2014.
- Moshman, N. D., Hobson, G. V. and Sritharan, S. S., “Optimal Control of Shock Wave Attenuation Using Liquid Water Droplets with Application to Ignition Overpressure in Launch Vehicles,” International Journal of Flow Control. 2012.
- Moshman, N. D., Hobson, G. V. and Sritharan, S. S., “Optimal Control of the Unsteady Euler Equations in 1D with Application to Ignition Overpressure Attenuation in Launch Vehicles,” AIAA Journal. January 2012.
- Back, S-C, Hobson, G. V., Song, S-J, Millsaps, K. T., “Effect of Reynolds Number and Surface Roughness Magnitude & Location on Compressor Cascade Performance,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Turbomachinery, Volume 134, 051013-1, September 2012.
- Gannon, A. J., Hobson, G. V. and Davis, W. L., “Axial Transonic Rotor and Stage Behavior Near the Stability Limit,” Journal of Turbomachinery (Vol.134, Iss.1) 26 May 2011.
- Gannon, A. J. and Hobson, G. V., “Pre-Stall Instability Distribution over a Transonic Compressor Rotor,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Volume 131, May 2009.
- Hobson, G. V., Caruso, T. M. and Carlson, J. R., “Three-Component LDV Measurements in the Wake of a Compressor Cascade with Flow Separation,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, January 2008.
- Elmstrom, M. E., Millsaps, K. T., Hobson, G. V. and Patterson, J. S., “Impact of Non-Uniform Leading Edge Coatings on the Aerodynamic Performance of Compressor Airfoils,” Accepted for publication in the ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, 2005.
- Gannon, A. J., Hobson, G. V. and Shreeve, R. P., “Measurement of the Unsteady Casewall Pressures Over the Rotor of a Transonic Fan and Comparison with Numerical Predictions,” ISABE 2005-1099, 17th International Symposium on Airbreating Engines, Munich, September 2005.
- Hobson, G. V., Hansen, D. J., Schnorenberg, D. G., and Grove, D. V., “Effect of Reynolds Number on Separation Bubbles on Controlled-Diffusion Compressor Blades in Cascade,” AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp 154–162, 2001.
- Hobson, G. V., Wakefield, B. E., and Roberts, W. B., “Leading Edge Turbulence Amplification in a Compressor Cascade,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 5, pp 89-98, 1999.
- Hobson, G. V., Ganaim Rickel, H. J. and Williams, A. J. H., “Laser-Doppler Velocimetry and Flow Visualization of Flow Through a Compressor Cascade at Stall,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 120, No. 1, pp 170-178, Jan. 1998.
- Brawley, S. and Hobson, G. V., “Aerodynamic Design Using Parallel Processors,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp 630-632, May-June, 1996.
- Hobson, G. V., and Dober, D. M., “Three-Dimensional Fibre-Optics LDV Measurements in the Endwall Region of a Linear Cascade of Controlled-Diffusion Stator Blades,” International Journal of Turbo and Jet Engines, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1997.
- Hobson, G. V., “Computation of End-Wall Flow in a Linear Cascade and Comparison with Experiment,” ASME Publication AD-Vol. 49, 1995.
- Hobson, G. V., and Shreeve, R. P., “Inlet Turbulence Distortion and Viscous Flow Development in a Controlled-Diffusion Compressor Cascade at Very High Incidence,” AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 9, No. 3, May-June 1993.
- Hobson, G. V., “A Navier-Stokes Analysis of a Controlled-Diffusion Compressor Cascade at Increasing Incidence,” International Journal of Turbo and Jet Engines, December 1995.
- Hobson, G.V. and Lakshminarayana, B., “Prediction of Cascade Performance Using an Incompressible Navier-Stokes Technique,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, October 1991, Vol. 113, pp 561-572.
- Hobson, G.V. and Lakshminarayana, B., “Fully Elliptic Incompressible Flow Calculations on a Regular Grid,” AIAA Journal , Vol. 30, No. 11, November 1992.
- Hobson, G. V., and Lakshminarayana, B., “A Pressure Based Method for the Solution of Viscous Incompressible Turbomachinery Flows,” NASA Conference Publication 3078, April 1990.
- van Wyk, A.J. and Hobson, G.V., “Diagnosis and Cure for a Fatigue Problem in the Turbine Rotor of a Small Turbo-Engine,” Seventh International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines, Beijing, China, 1985.
Papers that I have written: (which you can download - if you do please send me an email)
LDV Measurements in the Endwall Region of an Annular Turbine Cascade Through an Aerodynamic Window, with Donovan and Spitz
Effect of Reynolds Number on Separation Bubbles on Controlled-Diffusion Compressor Blades in Cascade, with Hansen, Schnorenberg and Grove
Appendix of abovementioned IGTI paper which has the blade machine coordinates
Service and Committees:
I belong to the following organizations:
I am a member of the following committees:
NPS Numerically Intensive Computing Committee