Academics - Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) provides a strong academic program, which spans the engineering disciplines of thermal-fluid sciences, structural mechanics, dynamic systems, guidance and control, autonomous vehicles, materials science and engineering, power and propulsion, and systems engineering, including total ship systems engineering and spacecraft design. These disciplines are blended together with a strong emphasis on naval engineering applications required by surface vessels, submarines, and spacecraft. Furthermore, the Department provides advanced education in classified topics in Aerospace Engineering.
Programs leading to the degree of Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME) and Master of Science in Astronautical Engineering (MSAE) are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET,http://www.abet.org.
A specific curriculum must be consistent with the general minimum requirements for the degree as determined by the Academic Council. Any program leading to a degree must be approved by the Department Chairman at least two quarters before completion. In general, approved programs will require more than the stated minimum degree requirements in order to conform to the needs and objectives of the United States Navy, and satisfy the applicable subspecialty-code requirements.
Clink on the following links for specific requirements for the indicated degree:
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science in Astronautical Engineering
- Master of Science in Engineering Science (major in Mechanical Engineering)
- Master of Science in Engineering Science (major in Astronautical Engineering)
- Master of Science in Engineering Science (major in Aerospace Engineering)
- Mechanical Engineer
- Astronautical Engineer
- Doctoral Programs
- Autonomous Systems Track
- Graduate Certificate in Robotics Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Trajectory Optimization
- In parallel to the above degrees we offer a program on Total Ship Systems Engineering
The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) offers a wide range of distance learning (DL) opportunities, including Master’s degrees, certificates and individual courses. Click here for more information.