NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Back to Search Result
Spencer Thomas Brien
Phone: (831) 656-3342
Spencer T. Brien is Assistant Professor of Public Budgeting and Finance in the Graduate School of Defense Management at the Naval Postgraduate School. Dr. Brien's research on fiscal administration spans federal, state and local governments. His recent work uses the Defense Commissary Agency as a case to examine how agencies can develop forward-looking strategies to address budgetary pressure. He is conducting research on attrition and turnover among the civilian Department of Defense workforce. His research has been published in various journals including The American Review of Public Administration, Public Budgeting & Finance, Public Finance Review, and the Journal of Public Procurement. His work has been financially supported by the Acquisitions Research Program and the Office of People Analytics. He has also been quoted in the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Prior to entering academia, he worked for eight years as a program analyst for the Internal Revenue Service. Dr. Brien currently teaches defense budgeting and has also taught courses in public financial management and the economics of state and local government. "
PhD - Georgia State University 2011
- 2015 - current: Assistant Professor
- 2012 - 2015 Assistant Professor, Arizona State University
- 2004 - 2012 Program Evaluation and Risk Analyst, Internal Revenue Service
State and Local Government Finance, Tax Administration, Transportation Administration, Strategic Workforce Management
Public Financial Management, Public Economics, Defense Budgeting and Public Policy
- Journal Articles
- Brien, S. T, (2020). Are Overlapping Local Governments Competing With Each Other When Issuing Debt? Public Budgeting and Finance, 2(40), 75-92.
- Brien, S. T., Candreva, P. J., Hansen, S. C., & Pizzini, M, (2020). Looking Forward to Cuts: A Simulation Decision Tool for Cutback Management. Public Budgeting & Finance, 1(40), 3-21.
- Brien, S. T, (2018). Strategic Interaction Among Overlapping Local Jurisdictions. American Review of Public Administration, 6(48), 584-595.
- Brien, S. T., Hansen, S. C., & Pizzini, M, (2018). Cutting Commissaries: Approaches to Downsizing a Government Program. IMA Educational Case Journal, 2(11).
- Brien, S. T., Swindell, D., & Stockwell, B, (2017). Benchmarking Property Taxes in a Metropolitan Area. Public Administration Quarterly, 1(41).
- Brien, S. T, (2017). Compensating Changes to the Property Tax Levy? An Empirical Test of the Residual Rule. Public Finance Review.
- Brien, S. T., & Hine, L. L, (2015). COMPLEX PRODUCTS AND COMPREHENSIVE SERVICE AGREEMENTS: A CASE STUDY OF OUTSOURCING IN CONTRACT CITIES. Journal of Public Procurement, 2(15), 150 - 176.
- Eger, R. J., & Brien, S. T, (2015). Managing Driving After Suspension: Non-Highway Safety Suspended Drivers and Crashes. Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 1(16), 76-82.
- Brien, S. T, (2014). Do State-Funded Property Tax Exemptions Actually Provide Tax Relief? Public Finance Review, 5(42), 608-634.
- Research Reports
- Brien, S. T, (2019). Attrition Among the DoD Civilian Workforce.