NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Back to Search Result
Raymond Dennis Jones
Phone: (831) 656-3960
Ray Jones retired as a Colonel from the U.S. Army in 2012 and is a Professor of Practice with the Graduate School for Business and Public Policy at the Naval Postgraduate School. His last assignment in the Army was as the Deputy Program Executive Officer for the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS). Additionally, he served as the Military Deputy for the Director of Acquisition Resources and Analysis in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition Technology and Logistics (USD(AT&L)), managed three Major Defense programs for the DoD in addition to his many operational and research and development assignments. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School in 1995 and is 1983 graduate of the United States Military Academy. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering, a Master of Science Degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the Naval Postgraduate School, a Master's in Business Administration from Regis University, a Master's Degree in National Resource Strategy from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces and is currently a PhD candidate with the Graduate School of Information Sciences at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey California.
MA - Industrial College of The Armed Forces 2003Major: National Resource Strategy
MS - Regis University 2000
MS - Naval Postgraduate School 1995Major: Aeronautical Engineering
BS - United States Military Academy-West Point 1983Major: Aerospace Engineering
- 2019 - current: Professor of Practice
- 2019 Professor of Practice, Naval Post Graduate School
- 2017 Academic Associate, Program Management, Naval Postgraduate School
- 2016 - 2016 Judge For Annual Army Writing Competition, U.S. Army
- 2012 - 2014 CEO, Strategic Alignment Global Inc.
- 2012 - 2018 Lecturer, Naval Postgraduate School
- 2011 - 2012 Deputy Program Executive Officer, Joint Tactical Radio System
- 2008 - 2011 Program Manager, Joint Tactical Radio System
- 2005 - 2008 Program Manager, PEO Ground Combat Systems
- 2003 - 2005 Military Deputy to Director of Acquisition Resources and Analysis, Office of Secretary of Defense
- 1999 - 2001 Commander, Kwajalein Missile Range
Program Performance Prediction using risk and volatility measures from a portfolio management perspective.
Defense Acquisition and National Industrial Base Policy
Boards, Memberships, & Certifications
- 2016 - 2017 Academy of Management
- 1998 Society of Experimental Test Pilots
Licensures and Certifications
- 1997 DAWIA Level III in Program Management and Testing, Defense Acquisition University
- 1995 Experimental Test Pilot, Department of Defense
- Book Chapters
- Jones, R. D, (2019). Management of Defense Acquisition Projects: Systems Engineering. Arlington Texas USA: AIAA.
- Conference Proceedings
- Jones, R. D, Program Manager Decision Making in Complex and Chaotic Environments.
- Jones, R. D., Housel, T. J., Mun, J. C., & Carlton, B, (2019). A Comparative Analysis of Advanced Methodologies to Improve the Acquisition of Information Technology in the Department of Defense for Optimal Risk Mitigation and Decision Support Systems to Avoid Cost and Schedule Overruns.
- Jones, R. D, (2017). Economics as a Science.
- Pickar, C. K., & Jones, R. D, (2015). Engineering the Business of Defense Acquisition: An Analysis of Program Office Processes.
- Journal Articles
- Jones, R. D, Behavioral Finance in the Public Sector: “Leaving Money on the Table”.
- Jones, R. D, Been There Done That. Army Acquisition Logistics and Technology (AL&T), (Jul-Sep 2016), 135-138.
- Technical Reports
- Jones, R. D, Why do Defense Programs Fail.
- Jones, R. D, (2016). Technical Report: Understanding Complexity and Self-Organization in a Defense Program Management Organization (Experimental Design)
- Jones, R. (Author & Presenter), Carlton, B. (Author & Presenter), & Housel, T. (Author), NPS Acquisition Research Symposium, "A Comparative Analysis of Advanced Methodologies to Improve the Acquisition of Information Technology," Naval Postgraduate School, CA. (May 1, 2019).
- Jones, R. D., Western Economic Association International 92nd Annual Conference, "Economics as a Science". (June 26, 2017).