Request For Information (RFI) and Areas of Interest
If you are interested in submitting an experiment proposal for consideration please carefully review the NPS FX Request for Information (RFI) linked below. This document provides guidelines for submitting an experiment proposal as well as a bulleted list of areas of interest. For ease of use, you may also preview these areas of interest in the table below.
The overall focus of JIFX will be to explore technologies that have the potential of rapidly increasing military & first responder capability, reducing the cost of current capabilities, providing options for reducing force structure associated with a capability, or providing a means to work and share more with partner nations and other organizations.
Joint Interagency Field Experimentation (JIFX) Experiment Proposal Areas of Interest
Unmanned, semi-autonomous, and autonomous systems design, deployment and operations
- Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS).
- Other Classes of Unmanned Aerial Systems.
- Unmanned Ground Mobile Systems
- Unmanned Naval Surface Vehicles (USV)
- Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUV).
- Unattended Ground Sensors
- Improved Power and Antennas for Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS).
- Cross-Domain Unmanned, Semi-Autonomous and Autonomous Systems.
- Technologies Supporting Swarming Unmanned and Autonomous Systems (UAS).
- Unmanned, semi-autonomous, and autonomous systems design, deployment and operations
Countering Unmanned Systems
- UAS Detection and Surveillance Systems.
- UAS Defeat Systems.
Mobile Ad-hoc Networking for UxS Control
Heads-Up Display Situational Awareness/Tracking/Physiological Monitoring for UsX control
Untethered, underwater communication systems.
Precision Navigation and Timing (PNT) in GPS Denied Environments.
Air to Ground Communication
- Fusion and Distribution of Data.
- Big Data Computing Architectures.
Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR)
- Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS).
- Mine & IED Mitigation.
- Small Vessel Cooperative Identification and Tracking (SVCT) and Non-Cooperative Vessel Imaging and Tracking (NVIT).
- Persistent ISR Assets.
- Digital Characterization/Classification of Maritime Vessels.
- Maritime Risk, Threat, Analysis and Resilience.
Communication and Networking
- Secure Communication and Data.
- Scalable, Mobile and Over The Horizon (OTH) Digital Communication Networks.
- Two-Way Communication with Unresponsive Aircraft in Restricted Airspace.
- Network Security for Hastily Formed and Mobile Ad Hoc Networks.
- Location, Tracking and Communication Technologies.
- Heads-Up Display Situational Awareness/Tracking/Physiological Monitoring Technologies.
- Technologies that provide communication in any environmental condition (including through barriers, inside buildings, and underground).
- Tactical IT architectures.
- Agile network Architectures.
- Distributed spectrum management.
- Global Access Technologies.
- Air to Ground Communication Hardware.
- Networking Technologies that Support “Cloud Hubs”.
- Data compression.
Decision Support (DS), Situation Awareness (SA), and visualization
- Social Media for Situational Awareness.
- Maritime Domain Awareness.
- Improved Situational Awareness and Collaborative Tools/Applications for Synchronized Execution.
- Tracking solutions for GPS denied environments.
- Command and Control Optimization, Modeling and Simulation.
- Information Exchange and Communication between Disparate Organizations.
- Maritime Common Operating Picture
- Maritime C4ISR Technologies.
Humanitarian Assistance (HA), Disaster Response (DR), Defense Support to Civil Authority (DSCA), and pandemic response
- Non-combatant Evacuation Operations (NEO).
- Interoperable Communication Solutions in Network Denied Disaster Response Environments.
- Mobile Data Collection during Disaster Response Operations.
- Cellular Strength Mapping in Disaster Environments.
- Improved re-usable barrier material to compliment or replace current Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Improved Life-Support during Patient Evacuation.
- Rapid Body Temperature Detection.
- Code-based Reporting System for Transmitting Information Across a Wide Range of Outlets.
- Rapid Virus Testing.
- Anti-Viral Sterilizing Technologies.
- Technologies Augmenting Current Distributed Health and Preparedness Training.
- En Route Patient Tracking.
- Personal Protection
Cyber, cyber security, and Electronic Warfare (EW)
- Signature Reductions and Management.
- Exploitation of Data Links.
- Electromagnetic Battle Management (EMBM).
- Lightweight, Active, Selective Jamming Payloads for Unmanned Systems.
Expeditionary Operations, Infrastructure, Power, and Water
- Reduce Stress on the Force:
- Deployed Infrastructure Building and Maintenance.
- Deployable Lighting Technologies.
- Energy efficiencies.
- Water Generation and Purification Systems.
- Safer (non-propagation/non-flammable) batteries
Detection and measurement of explosive, nuclear, radiological, chemical or biological agents
- Detection and measurement of chemical or biological agents in aerial plumes.
- Mobile and portable detection and measuring.
- Cargo Screening.
- Remote Sensing.
Force protection equipment and wearable technologies
- Warfighter Performance Enhancements.
- Integrated Personal Protective Equipment.
- Wearable Technologies.
Mobility and transportation
- Near Real-time In-transit Visibility (ITV).
- Mobility Management Solutions.
- Next generation Combat Rubber Raiding Craft (CRRC).
Precision strike, non-lethal weapons, information operations
- Targeting Technologies for Faster, More Precise Engagements.
- Light Aerial Combat Vehicles.
- Land domain Non-Lethal/Scalable Effects Engagement.
- Non-Lethal/Scalable Effects Engagement.
- Maritime domain Non-Lethal/Scalable Effects Engagement.
- Air & Space domain Non-Lethal/Scalable Effects Engagement.
- Canine Operations.
- Military Information Support Operations