Data Science Extras - Data Sciences
Ideas and Insights
- Our Internal (to NPS) Data Science & Analytics blog
- You must be on campus or connected via VPN to reach this site
- For several types of data science projects, including data visualization projects, data cleaning projects, and machine learning projects, here are good places to find data sets for each.
- DSCOE - US Army's Data Science Center of Education (CAC required)
- a collection of Data Science short articles and how-to tutorials
maRio: a Shiny Alternative (CAC required)
- This tutorial shows how to make an application in R without Shiny using a new framework called maRio. Not intended to replace Shiny - instead it is an alternative for intermediate/advanced developers who can benefit from flexibility.
- Whats Your Data Worth?
- James Short and Steve Todd discuss why companies need to develop greater expertise at valuing their data assets.
- Fuel of the Future: Data is giving rise to a new economy
- The Economist shares the emerging economy surrounding the value of data, and the need for both recognition and compensation.
- Andreas Weigend challenges the attitudes about the data, with a view towards transparency and a need for the stakeholders to become data literate.
- On 09 May 2017, the Marine Corps Professional Analyst Community of Interest hosted an overview of data science for leaders, analysts, managers, and marine and civilians with an interest in this emerging field at the Marine Corps Base Quantico, VA. Dr. Marcus Stefanou, Naval Postgraduate School Computer Science Department, addresses in a half-day overview what data science is, what we mean by "big data" and cloud computing, and what the essential ingredients to enable data science within an organization are.
- What is Big Data?
- Jenna Dutcher of Berkeley asks the question, What is Big Data?
- A Very Short History of Big Data
- Gil Press discusses how big data became big starts.
- The Future of Crime Prevention
- Monica Rozenfeld discusses how big data can stop criminals in their tracks.
- Special Report: Big Data
- Connecting the dots to provide insight into the world we live in.
- Census and Sensibility
- Michael Geselowitz discusses a little history of big data
- Better Health Care Through Data
- Kathy Pretz discusses how health analytics could contain costs and improve care.
- Data Science Webinar Series
- Data Science Central
- ONR Tackles Data Science, Warfighter Performance
- Office of Naval Research.
- No More Solitude: How To Make DoD the Next Google
- Adam Jay Harrison and Stephen Rodriguez, say that a key element of the starategy is "leveraging big data."
- In 2012 the data centers alone were estimated to consume 3 percent of the world's electricity. When all the digital devices connected ot the Internet are added, the figure jumps to 6 percent.
- Where do collage graduates work? A Special Focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- Are STEM initiatives doing enough to keep students in science and technology?
- "So Far, Big Data Is Small Potatoes"
- John Horgan, author of The End of Science, warns people about the hype among scientists regarding Big Data, in his blog " So Far, Big Data is Small Potatoes".
- The authors, LCDR Steve Debich, LT Bruce Hill, Scot Miller, and Dr. Don Brutzman, describe the potential role of compressed XML and the efficient use of bandwidth for afloat units.
- "Future Force" is a professional magazine derived from the naval science and technology community to inform readers about the basic and applied research funded by the Navy.
- "Data Flood: Helping the Navy Address the Rising Tide of Sensor Information" discusses options that could help solve the Navy's "big data" challenge.
For Data Challenge Details
For a short video about the NAVAIR Data Challenge at NPS, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YtGZ9kxmE4