Welcome to the "Center for Information Warfare and Innovation" Home Page
The Center for Information Warfare and Innovation (CIWI) promotes education and professional development for the U.S. Navy Information Warfare Community (IWC). The CIWI assists with Navy IWC education requirements and coordinates research efforts, assisting NPS students and faculty to engage with other Navy, Joint, and Department of Defense (DoD) commands and organizations on topics and challenges relating to Information Warfare and Decision Superiority.
Formerly the Information Professional Center of Excellence (IPCOE) expanded in 2010 to cover all Information Warfare communities. Now CIWI supports the generation of NPS IWC graduates who leave campus with the right skills to satisfy DoD mission requirements, with education in information, intelligence, human-derived information, cyber operations and networks, space, and oceanographic disciplines.
- Advocate the goals of the Navy Strategy for Achieving Information Dominance - with Information Dominance defined as the operational advantage gained from fully integrating the Navy's information functions, capabilities and resources to optimize decision making and maximize warfighting effects. The strategy focuses on three fundamental capabilities: Assured Command and Control, Battlespace Awareness, and Integrated Fires.
- Champion adaptive education for the IWC, focused on operational Fleet needs, with appreciation of the past, mastery of the present and anticipation of the future.
- Advocate standardization, organization and management of IWC resources - people, equipment, and information.
- Focus academic and research energy on priority issues of concern, and also influence the evolution of existing technologies and acquisition of new technologies used for Information Warfare. Examples of ongoing emphasis are Electromagnetic Maneuver Warfare, Big Data Science, Cloud Computing, and Software Defined Networking.
- Oversee Information Warfare Qualification (officer and enlisted) on the NPS campus, and collaborate with other IWC centers for holistic Navy-wide Information Warfare education, training, and qualification planning activities.
- Bring in top-quality guest speakers from the military, government, academia and industry, and organize professional interactions with organizations having Information Warfare-related missions, to broaden IW students' perspective, understanding, and innovative thinking.