Security, Politics, and Human Terrain in Central and South Asia
- Analysing the New Taliban Code of Conduct (Layeha): An Assessment of Changing Perspectives and Strategies of the Afghan Taliban, Thomas H. Johnson and Matthew C. DuPee, Central Asian Survey 31, No. 1 (March 2012), 77–91 (PDF)
- The Fog of Peace, Thomas H. Johnson and M. Chris Mason, The AfPak Channel, ForeignPolicy.com, January 18, 2012
- Parallels with the Past – How the Soviets Lost in Afghanistan, How the Americans are Losing, Larry Goodson and Thomas H. Johnson, Orbis 55, No. 4 (Fall 2011), 577-599 (PDF)
- Déjà Vu: Afghanistan Prepares for Another Withdrawal, with Thomas H. Johnson, Jane's Intelligence Review, October, 2011
- Can Afghanistan's Counternarcotics Efforts Survive NATO Withdrawal?, with Matthew C. DuPee, World Politics Review, July 14, 2011
- Bin Laden’s Gone, What’s Next for the U.S and Afghanistan?, with Thomas H. Johnson, Tom Ashbrook's On Point, WBUR.org (NPR), May 3, 2011
- Parallels with the Past: How the Soviets Lost in Afghanistan, How the Americans are Losing, Larry Goodson and Thomas H. Johnson, Foreign Policy Research Institute (FPRI), April 2011 (For PDF, click: here.)
- Poetry as a Weapon of War in Afghanistan, with Thomas H. Johnson, PBS NewsHour, March 24, 2011
- Transition to Nowhere: The Limits of 'Afghanization', Thomas H. Johnson and Matthew DuPee, The AfPak Channel, ForeignPolicy.com, March 22, 2011
- Analyzing Taliban Taranas (Chants): An Effective Afghan Propaganda Artifact, Thomas H. Johnson and Ahmad Waheed, Small Wars & Insurgencies 22: 1 (March 2011), 3-31
- Tensions Rise Between Hizb-i-Islami and the Taliban in Afghanistan, Matthew DuPee and Anand Gopal, CTC Sentinel, August 2010
- Religious Figures, Insurgency, and Jihad in Southern Afghanistan (PDF), Thomas H. Johnson in "Who Speaks for Islam? Muslim Grassroots Leaders and Popular Preachers in South Asia," The National Bureau of Asian Research, Special Report #22, February 2010 (PDF)
- Refighting the Last War: Afghanistan and the Vietnam Template, Thomas H. Johnson and M. Chirs Mason, Military Review Nov-Dec 2009
- Winning the War in Afghanistan: Echoes of Northern Ireland and the IRA?, Thomas H. Johnson and Richard English, The Brown Journal of World Affairs, Fall/Winter 2008
- All Counterinsurgency is Local, Thomas H. Johnson and M. Chris Mason, Atlantic Monthly, October 2008
- Rethinking Afghanistan: echoes of Ulster and the IRA?, Thomas H. Johnson and Richard English, Policy Options, June 2008.
- No Sign until the Burst of Fire: Understanding the Pakistan - Afghanistan Frontier, Thomas H. Johnson and M. Chris Mason, International Security, Spring 2008, Vol. 32, No. 4: 41-77.
- The Taliban: An Organizational Analysis (PDF), Major Shahid Afsar (Pakistan), Major Chris Samples (USA), and Major Thomas Wood (USA), Military Review, May-June 2008: 58-73.
- The Taliban Insurgency and an Analysis of Shabnamah (Night Letters) (PDF), Thomas H. Johnson, Small Wars and Insurgencies Vol. 18, No. 3, 317-344, Sept. 2007.
- On the Edge of the Big Muddy: The Taliban Insurgence in Afghanistan (PDF), Thomas H. Johnson, China and Eurasia Forum Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 2. 2007
- Terrorism, Insurgency, and Afghanistan (PDF), Thomas H. Johnson and M. Chris Mason in Countering Terrorism and Insurgency in the 21st Century. International Perspectives. Vol 2. Combating the Sources and Facilitators. Edited by: James J. Forest. Praeger Security International, 2007.
- Afghanistan's Post-Taliban Transition: the State of State-building after War (PDF), Thomas H. Johnson, Central Asian Survey (March-June 2006) 25(1-2)
- Democratic Nation Building in the Arc of Crisis: The Case of the Presidential Election in Afghanistan (PDF), Thomas H. Johnson
in Critical Issues Facing the Middle East: Security, Politics, Economics. By: James A. Russell, Palgrave Macmillan, 2006
- Understanding the Taliban and Insurgency in Afghanistan (PDF) (Text format), Thomas H. Johnson and M. Chris Mason, Orbis: A Journal of World Affairs 51, No. 1, 2006.
- The Prospects for Post-Conflict Afghanistan: A Call of the Sirens to the Country's Troubled Past, Thomas H. Johnson, Strategic Insights, Vol 5, #2, Feb. 2006
- A Hard Day's Night? The United States and the Global War on Terrorism (PDF), Thomas H. Johnson and James A. Russell, Comparative Strategy, 24: 127-151, 2005
- Ismail Khan, Herat, and the Iranian Influence, Thomas H. Johnson, Strategic Insights, Vol 3, #7 July 2004
- The Loya Jirga, Ethnic Rivalries and Future Afghan Stability, Thomas H. Johnson, Strategic Insights, Vol 1, #6, Aug 2002
Student Research and Theses
- The Pushtun Behavior Economy: An Analysis of Decision Making in Tribal Society (PDF), Jeremy W. Holton, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2011
The Narcotics Emirate of Afghanistan: Examining Armed Polities and Their Roles in Illicit Drug Production and Conflict in Afghanistan 1980-2010 (PDF), Matthew C. DuPée, Naval Postgraduate School, December 2010
- Agency and Structure as Determinants of Female Suicide Terrorism: A Comparative Analysis of Three Conflict Regions (PDF), Matthew P. Dearing, Naval Postgraduate School, December 2009
- The Afghan National Police: Turning a Counterinsurgency Problem into a Solution (PDF), David J. Haskell, Naval Postgraduate School, December 2009
- A District Approach to Countering Afghanistan's Insurgency (PDF), David S. Clukey, Naval Postgraduate School, December 2009
- Taliban Information Strategy: How are the Taliban Directing their Information Strategy toward the Population of Afghanistan? (PDF), Derek I. Schmeck, Naval Postgraduate School, December 2009
- Opium in Afghanistan: Lessons Learned from the Counterdrug Strategies of Columbia (PDF), Scott R. Whittenburg, Naval Postgraduate School, December 2009
- Learning from Our Past: How a Vietnam-era Pacification Program Can Help Us Win in Afghanistan (PDF), Amy S. Bumgarner, Naval Postgraduate School, September 2009
- Wahhabism: Is it a Factor in the Spread of Global Terrorism? (PDF), Michael R. Dillon, Naval Postgraduate School, September 2009
- Role of airpower for counterinsurgency in Afghanistan and FATA (PDF), Irfan Ahmad, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2009
- Small Nation, Big Difference: How the Norwegian Armed Forces Should Conduct Counterinsurgency Operations (PDF), Trond Gimmingsrud and Hans-Marius Pedersen, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2009
- Coercion, Cash-Crops and Culture: From Insurgency to Proto-State in Asia's Opium Belt (PDF), Andrew A. Merz, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2008.
- The Evolution of the Taliban (PDF), Shahid A. Afsar and Christopher A. Samples, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2008.
- Quantifying Human Terrain (PDF), Erik B. Eldridge and Andrew J. Neboshynsk, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2008.
- Coercion, Cash-Crops and Culture: From Insurgency to Proto-State in Asia's Opium Belt (PDF), Andrew Merz, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2008.
- Badal: A Culture of Revenge the Impact of Collateral Damage on Taliban Insurgency (PDF), Raja G. Hussain, Naval Postgraduate School, March 2008.
- Leadership Transition in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan: Implications for Policy and Stability in Central Asia (PDF), Shane A. Smith, Naval Postgraduate School. Sept. 2007
- Central Asia's Raging Waters: The Prospects of Water Conflict in Central Asia (PDF), William B. Hartman, Naval Postgraduate School. Mar 2007
- The Demise of Russian Health Capital: The Continuity of Ineffective Government Policy (PDF), Jarad Van Wagoner, Naval Postgraduate School. Mar 2007
- Ungoverned Spaces: The Challenges of Governing Tribal Societies (PDF), Ty Groh, Naval Postgraduate School. June 2006
- Stability in Pakistan: Realizing the Vision of Enlightened Moderation (PDF), Tanya M. Murnock, Naval Postgraduate School. June 2006
- Afghanistan's Constitutions: A Comparative Study and Their Implications for Afghan Democratic Development (PDF), Zoe Bernadette Sherman, Naval Postgraduate School. March 2006
- Implications of Societal Fragmentation for State Formation: Can Democracy Succeed in Afghanistan? (PDF), Jeffrey D. Rhinefield, Naval Postgraduate School. March 2006
- Military Force and Culture Change: Systems, Narratives, and the Social Transmission of Behavior in Counterterrorism Strategy (PDF), William D. Casebeer, Naval Postgraduate School. March 2006
- Dismantling the Afghan Opiate Economy: A Cultural and Historical Policy Assessment, with Policy Recommendations (PDF), Maj. Christopher L. Byrom, Naval Postgraduate School. Sept. 2005
Material contained herein is made available for the purpose of peer review and discussion and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of the Navy or the Department of Defense.To contact us about our program: firstname.lastname@example.org