FSP ACTIVITY GUIDELINES
Activities and Dates
FIELD STUDIES PROGRAM GUIDELINES – FIELD STUDIES PROGRAM ACTIVITIES ARE FOR YOU, THE STUDENT. For activities where spouses/families are eligible to participate, YOU THE STUDENT, must attend the activity in order for your family to join the activity as well.
Each person is responsible for signing up themselves (in person) for an FSP activity; please do not ask a friend or call the office and ask them to sign you up.
REMEMBER, when signing up for Field Studies Program trips/activities, a DEPOSIT IS REQUIRED FOR ALL ACTIVITIES, AND IS PAYABLE AT THE TIME OF SIGN-UP. You will not be eligible for selection if you do not have a check attached to your sign-up form. As in the past, your check will be returned to you upon arrival for that specific activity. (Note: if you do not have a checking account, you will need to provide a money order or cashier’s check. According to government regulations, we are not authorized to handle cash.) A $10 deposit per person is required for day activities; the deposit for overnight activities is $25 per person. Make checks payable to U.S. Treasurer. NOTE: Dinner Dance checks are payable to International Programs.
If you sign up for an IP activity - it is your responsibility to check the bulletin board to see if you have been selected to participate. Do not call the office to see if you are on the list.
Confirmation/Cancellation of Trips – Once you have been selected to participate in a trip, it is your responsibility to confirm or cancel your participation, in person, prior to the stated deadline.
At the time of confirmation, you will receive your information package with all the details pertaining to the trip, itinerary, what we pay for, what you are responsible for, etc. Failure to confirm by the deadline will result in your being removed from the selection list and the next eligible person on the waiting list going in your place.
Additionally, failure to cancel by the deadline may result in forfeiture of your deposit (your deposit will be applied to any costs incurred due to your late cancellations [lodging deposits, meals, tickets for the activity, etc]). Please do not write or cross your name off the posted list on the bulletin board. We may not look at the posted list and will be unaware that there has been a cancellation; this in turn, may cause a penalty to be enforced and could cost another person the opportunity to participate in the activity.
If your wife is pregnant and you have been selected to attend an FSP activity, please remember to provide this office with a doctor's note authorizing her to travel (if applicable) and to participate in all scheduled activities by the confirmation deadline date.
Some activities have age restrictions set upon them for various reasons, such as the fact that the activity may be an adult oriented activity. The Graduation Dinner Dance held each quarter is a typical example of an adult function. The invitations as well as the newsletter, make it clear that the Graduation Dinner Dance is an ADULT FUNCTION. This means NO CHILDREN, to INCLUDE INFANTS (babies). It is particularly important that you communicate that to any guests you may invite who have small children. If everyone follows this basic guideline, we will avoid any more embarrassing situations such as occurred at past activities.
Field Studies Programs are for you, the international student, U.S. sponsors and your immediate family members. Do not put the International Office on the spot by bringing extended family members (i.e., sisters, brothers, grandchildren, etc) or friends without getting approval prior to the activity. It would be very disheartening to bring additional unexpected participants to a function and have to be turned away because of space or other limitations.
FIELD STUDIES PROGRAM GUIDELINES REMINDER - If you have been selected for an Field Studies Program activity and you need to cancel, please see Kim to cancel your participation. Please do not write or cross your name off the posted list on the bulletin board. We may not look at the posted list and will be unaware that there has been a cancellation; this in turn may cause a penalty to be enforced and could cost another person the opportunity to participate in the activity.
1. ARTICHOKE/WINERY TOUR - Saturday, 4 Apr 2009 (ADULTS ONLY ATTENDEES MUST BE 21 YEARS OR OLDER!) The day will start with a tour of the Ocean Mist Artichoke Farm, an example of a family-run agricultural business venture. There we’ll see how artichokes are grown, learn some of the many ways they can be prepared, where and how they’re exported, and much more. Following the tour there’ll be an “artichoke lunch” at the Giant Artichoke in Castroville. After lunch, the group will go to the Chateau Julien Wine Estate for a tour of a local vineyard, which will show you an example of a corporate agribusiness venture. Selections have been posted. ***There is still space available***; last day to confirm or cancel to avoid a penalty will be 26 Mar 2009.
2. MONTEREY BAY AQUARIUM-1530 on Friday, 10 Apr 2009 (FAMILY MEMBERS AUTHORIZED ON SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS). Student must participate in order for the family member to be able to join the tour. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the largest aquariums in the world. The newest exhibit to the Aquarium is “The Secret Lives of Seahorses”. Explore the unusual lives of these fascinating fish with over a dozen different seahorse species and their relatives. Learn why their habitats are in danger and what you can do to help. Dramatic displays of more than 500 species of marine life, a two story sea otter exhibit and a 3-story kelp forest. The aquarium also has a hands-on tide pool; a shorebird aviary, life sized models of whales and other marine animals. Selections have been posted. ***There is still space available****Last day to confirm or cancel to avoid a penalty will be 2 Apr 09. (PARTICIPANTS WILL DRIVE THEIR OWN CARS TO THE AQUARIUM FOR THIS ACTIVITY).
3. YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK-Friday through Sunday, 17-19 Apr 2009 (FAMILY MEMBERS INCLUDED ON SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS). There will be ample time to explore the valley floor and possibly skiing on Saturday, weather permitting. On Sunday there’ll be a Valley tour, and an opportunity to do some last minute hiking and shopping before the bus returns to NPS. Depending on the weather, there may be a little or a lot of snow, in either case, participants on this trip need to be prepared for the cold. Selections have been posted. ***There is a long waiting list. Last day to confirm or cancel to avoid a penalty will be 8 Apr 2009.
4. STANFORD/BERKLEY/ TECH FACILITY TOUR – Friday & Saturday, 8-9 May 2009 (ADULTS ONLY (ATTENDEES MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER). Participants will have an opportunity to tour the campuses of two major world-class academic facilities, one a private educational institution, the other a public (state owned) university. The tour will also include a technical research laboratory. Sign-ups will be from 30 Mar-10 Apr 2009; selections will be posted on 14 Apr 2009; last day to confirm or cancel to avoid a penalty will be 30 Apr 2009.
5. SACRAMENTO GOVERNMENT TOUR-Friday and Saturday, 15-16 May 2009 (ADULTS ONLY (ATTENDEEES MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER). The bus will depart on Friday morning, returning to Monterey late Saturday afternoon. Join us on this trip to the State Capitol. In addition to the Capitol, the tour will include Leland Stanford Mansion, Sutter’s Fort, Old Town Sacramento, the California Railroad Museum, and more. This is a fast-paced trip full of interesting people, places, and California history. Sign-ups will be from 13-24 Apr 2009; selections will be posted 28 Apr 2009; last day to confirm/cancel to avoid a penalty will be 7 May 2009.
6. SALINAS VALLEY FAIR-Saturday, 16 May 2009 (FAMILY MEMBERS AUTHORIZED ON A SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS). Here’s another fun filled day for the entire family. This is a traditional, old-fashioned American Fair. It will have a variety of agricultural and 4-H displays, animals that the 4-H children have raised, exhibits and craft booths, carnival rides and lots of great food. Sign-ups will be from 13-24 Apr 2009; selections; will be posted on 28 Apr 2009; last day to cancel/confirm to avoid a penalty will be 7 May 2009.
7.GRADUATION DINNER/DANCE. –Friday 5 Jun 2009 (ADULTS ONLY ATTENDEES MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER!) Advance Sign-ups for graduates will be 4-8 May 2009. Sign-ups for all others will be from 11-22 May 2009. NONE CAN OR WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE. Please note: Graduates are strongly encouraged to sign up EARLIER than the deadline of 8 May 09 in order to accommodate your seating requirements. Each graduate receives two tickets free of charge. Cost for all other International Students/Spouses is $10.00 per person. Cost for U.S. Sponsors/Spouses is $10.00 per person. Cost for anyone who is not an International Student or U.S. Sponsor is $14.00 per person.
8. MONTEREY HISTORICAL WALKING TOUR-Saturday, 18 Jul 2009 (FAMILY MEMBERS AUTHORIZED). Participants in this tour will meet at the historic Pacific House on Monterey’s Custom House Plaza at 0945. There will be a guided walking tour (approximately 3/4 mile) covering Monterey's history from its earliest days as a territory of Spain through its position as the new state of California’s first capitol up to “modern times” when the sardine industry flourished in the area. After a group lunch, the tour will continue to the Maritime Museum of Monterey in the Stanton Center. Sign-ups will be 3 Jun-6 Jul 2009; selections will be posted on 8 Jul 2009; last day to confirm or cancel to avoid a penalty will be 10 Jul 2009.
9 . ANNUAL PICNIC- Saturday, 25 Jul 2009, (FAMILY) Fun for all! This event will be held at the Buckeye Picnic Area of Toro Park in Salinas (off Highway 68). Come prepared for a day of fun, food, games and entertainment. Participants will be on their own to arrange transportation (CARPOOLING IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO SAVE GAS AND PARK ENTRANCE FEES). If enough people are interested, we will provide a bus to transport you to the picnic and return to NPS. Indicate on your sign up form if you are interested. Sign-up 8 Jun-8 Jul 2009; selections will be posted on 10 Jul 2009; last day to confirm /cancel will be 21 Jul 2009.