Russian politics and security policy; the Russian navy
Mikhail Tsypkin is an associate professor in the Department of National Security Affairs at the Naval Postgraduate School. In 1985-1987 Dr. Tsypkin served as the Salvatori Fellow in Soviet Studies at the Heritage Foundation in Washington D.C. He joined NPS in 1987, two years after completing his Ph.D. in Political Science at Harvard University. He is a member of the Scientific Board of the online journal The Journal Of Power Institutions In Post-Soviet Societies. Dr. Tsypkin has published numerous articles on Soviet and Russian military affairs. His recent publications include:
- "Russian Politics and American Missile Defense," International Affairs (London) 85, no. 4 (2009): 773791.
- "Formulation of Nuclear Policy in Moscow: Actors and Interests" (with Anya Loukianova), in Cristina Hansell and William C. Potter, eds., Engaging China and Russia on Nuclear Disarmament (Monterey: James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, Occasional Paper No. 15, April 2009).
- "Perceptions and Misperceptions: Exploring the U.S.-Russian Strategic Impasse," Strategic Insights VII, no. 2 (April 2008) (with Jerome Conley).
- "Terrorism and the Threat to New Democracies," in Thomas C. Bruneau and Steven C. Boraz, eds., Reforming Intelligence: Obstacles to Democratic Control and Effectiveness (Austin: University of Texas Press, 2007), 269-300.
- "Reforming Intelligence: Russia¹s failure," Journal of Democracy 17, No. 3 (July 2006), 72-85.
- "Adventures of the 'Nuclear Briefcase': A Russian Document Analysis," Strategic Insights 3, no. 9 (September 2004).
- “Russia's Security and the War on Terror,” editor and introductory author to the special issue of the Journal of Slavic Military Studies 17, no. 1 (March 2004).
- “Armiya i voennaya organizatsiya gosudarstva (Armed Forces and State's Military Organization)," consulting editor of a special issue, Otechestvennye zapiski, no.8, (2003).
- “Rudderless in a Storm: the Russian Navy, 1992-2002," in Anne C. Aldis and Roger N. McDermott, eds., Russian Military Reform, 1992-2002 (London: Frank Cass, 2003), 162-187.
- "The Russian Military, Politics and Security Policy in the 1990s," in Michael H. Crutcher, ed., The Russian Armed Forces at the Dawn of the Millennium (US Army War College: Carlisle Barracks, PA, December 2000), 23-44. (PDF)
- "Military Reform and Strategic Nuclear Forces of the Russian Federation," European Security (Spring 2000), 22-40. (view abstract)