Naval War College Monterey - Program Requirements
Eligible officers and select DoD civilians who wish to earn a Command and Staff program diploma need to complete an NWC course in all three core disciplines: Strategy & War (S&W); Theater Security Decision Making (TSDM); and Joint Maritime Operations (JMO). Course options include Fleet Seminar, Web-enhanced correspondence and NWC Monterey courses. Courses may be completed in any order and in any combination of course options.
NWC Monterey offers the following series of classes that satisfy the requirements for a NWC Command & Staff program diploma:
- NW-3230 Strategy & War (4-2)
- NW-3275 Joint Maritime Operations part 1 (4-0)
- NW-3276 Joint Maritime Operations part 2 (2-2)
- NW-3285 Theater Security Decision Making (4-0)
With the exception of NW-3276, which must follow NW-3275, classes may be taken in any order. Students enroll in NWC classes through the NPS PYTHON automated scheduling system and attend NWC Monterey classes during the normal work-day.
- Students desiring NWC web-enhanced correspondence courses need to register with CDE through its website: http://www.nwc.navy.mil/academics/colleges/cde/overview.aspx.
- Due to mission requirements and resource constraints, Fleet Seminar enrollment at NWC Monterey is restricted to current Fleet Seminar students.
- Previous versions of NWC Monterey courses will continue to grant students credit towards a NWC Command & Staff program diploma.
- Completion of both NW-3275 and NW-3276 are required to fulfill the JMO course requirement.
All prospective students are required to have a Bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling in any NWC course. Additionally prospective students must be:
- U.S. Naval officers 0-3 and above
- U.S. Coast Guard officers 0-3 and above
- U.S. Army officers 0-3 (P) and above
- U.S. Air Force officers 0-3 (P) and above
- DoD civilians GS-11 and above
- All DoN students at NPS (0-1 or GS-11 and above) are eligible and required to take NW-3230 Strategy & War: The American Experience, the SECNAV required maritime strategy course.
- USMC officers get full 0-4 PME credit for completing our 4-course sequence. No additional Marine Corps specific courses are required.
- Eligible Army officers must complete a prerequisite course (P.950) prior to getting credit for the program.