Policy and Analysis
Energy research at the Naval Postgraduate School in the area of Policy and Analysis (P&A) is most often found in the Graduate School of Business & Public Policy (GSBPP) and the Graduate School of Operational and Information Sciences (GSOIS). Energy P&A research in GSOIS can be found in several different departments, including Computer Science, Defense Analysis, Information Sciences, and Operations Research. The P&A research projects highlighted on this website illustrate the wide expertise of GSBPP and GSOIS faculty.
Examples of NPS P&A Research Relevant to Energy
- Steaming on Convex Hulls
Prof Kline, Prof J. Brown, Prof Rosenthal, Prof Washburn – Operations Research Dept.
- Cost Benefit-Analysis of Energy Demonstrations
Prof Nussbaum, Prof Regnier, Prof Franck- Operations Research Dept, Defense Resources Management Institute, Graduate School Of Business And Public Policy & Department Of Systems Engineering.
- Fully Burdened Cost of Fuel
Prof Nussbaum – Operations Research Dept.
- Defending Interdependent Infrastructure Systems
Prof Baldick (U. Texas at Austin), Prof Alderson, Prof Salmeron, Prof Wood - Operations Research Dept.
- Real-Time Dispatch of Petroleum Tank Trucks
Prof G. Brown, Prof G. Graves - Operations Research Dept.
- Assessing Risk and Identifying How to Improve Resilience of the Energy Supply Chain in the Pacific Theatre
Prof Alderson, Prof G Brown, Prof Rob Dell, Prof Nussbaum- Operations Research Dept.
Recent NPS Theses and Dissertations Relevant to Energy P&A
- A Cost-Benefit Analysis of Smart Power Infrastructure Demonstration for Energy Reliability and Security (SPIDERS)
Leewright, Nussbaum - Operations Research Dept.
- Making the Surface Fleet Green The DOTMLPF, Policy, and Cost Implications of Using Biofuel in Surface Ships
Beads, Nussbaum, Fast - GSBPP
- Analysis of Implementing Lifetime Energy Cost, Including Fully Burdened Cost of Fuel and Energy Footprints of Contractors, as Mandatory Decision Factors in Navy Acquisition
Murphy, Wilson, Kidalov, Yoder - GSBPP
- Possible Effects of the Department of Defense Acting as a Buyer on the Derivatives Futures Market
Bowman, Wright, Brook, Hensel, Summers - GSBPP
- Should the Department of Defense Hedge Oil Prices in Order to Save Money?
Knapp, Hudgens, Dew - GSBPP
- A BCA for Transitioning the USN from Petroleum to Synthetic Fuel
Dr. D. Nussbaum, LCDR M. Benedetto - Operations Research Dept.
- A Cost Estimation Analysis of US Navy Ship Fuel-Savings Techniques and Technologies
Fonte, Nussbaum, Kline - Operations Research Dept.
- Determining the Return of Energy Efficiency Investments in Domestic and Deployed Military Installations
Gammache, Nussbaum, Coughlan - Operations Research Dept. & GSBPP
- Net Zero Plus: Conducting a Business Case Analysis
Ong, Nussbaum, Nolan - Operations Research Dept.
- Estimating the Fully Burdened Cost of Fuel for a Naval Aviation Fixed Wing Platform
Truckenbrod, Nussbaum, San Miguel - Operations Research Dept. & GSBPP.
- Evaluating the Impact of the Fully-Burdened Cost of Fuel in Trade Space Analysis
Corley, Nussbaum, Burton - Operations Research Dept.
- Comparative Analysis of Podded versus Mechanically-Driven Propulsion
Riendeau, Nussbaum - Operations Research Dept.
- A Methodological Approach for Conducting a Base Case Analysis for the Global Observer (JCTD)
Thiow Yong Dennis, Lim, Nussbaum, Lin - Operations Research Dept. & DSTA
- Geothermal HVAC: A Business Case Analysis
Trahan, Nussbaum, Brygider - Operations Research Dept.
- A Cost Estimation of Biofuel for Naval Aviation: Budgeting for the Great Green Fleet
Callahan, Nussbaum- Operations Research Dept.
- Batteries on the Battlefield: Developing a Methodology to Estimate the Fully-Burdened Cost of Batteries in the DOD
Kaiper, Nussbaum- Operations Research Dept.
- Fully-Burdened Cost of Fuel using Input-Output Analysis
John Hills and Sean Dubbs
- The Impact of Rechargeable Batteries
Brown, Nussbaum - Operations Research Dept.
- Shipboard LED Lighting: A Business Case Analysis
Cizek, Christopher J. - GSBPP
In Progress NPS Theses and Dissertations Relevant to Energy P&A
- Hybrid Renewable and Distributed Power Design
Harvey, Nussbaum- Operations Research Dept.