Master of Science Space Systems Operations (MSSSO)
Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Sciences (GSEAS)
Program Length: 2 Years
The MS Space Systems Operations (MSSSO) program provides students with scientific, technical, and operational knowledge of military space systems. Graduates are prepared to manage the technical aspects of a space system life cycle including requirements definition and analysis, design, development, installation, operations, and maintenance of spacecraft, space payloads, supporting ground stations, terminals, and C3 connectivity.
The Master of Science in Space Systems Operations (MSSSO) Distance Learning (DL) degree builds on almost 25 years experience educating military officers in masters and doctorate programs in space systems engineering and operations at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA.
Over 300 officers at duty stations around the world have taken our DL space systems courses offered as part of the NPS space systems certificate program.
The DL MSSSO program brings the core of the on-campus courses together with proven DL technology and faculty expertise to deliver a unique curriculum focused on national security space.
The following distance learning delivery method(s) may be used for this program:
Due to budget constraints and annual cohort sustainability, the MSSSO program is not taking new applications.
- SS3011 (3-0) - Space Technology and Applications
- PH3052 (4-0) - Physics of Space and Airborne Sensor Systems
Quarter 2 Winter
- SS3500 (4-2) - Orbital Mechanics and Launch Systems
- PH2514 (4-0) - Introduction to the Space Environment
- SS3051 - Military Space Systems (Classified - Requires SIPR Access), or, IO3100 - Info Ops (Unclassified)
- SS0810 (0-8) - Space Systems Thesis Research
Graduation Week at NPS
The following are eligible for this program:
- US Military Officers*
- US Government Civilians (GS)
- DoD Contractors
- International Students**
*Per OPNAVINST 1520.23C, a Navy officer will incur a 3 year service obligation upon completion or withdrawal from the Master of Science Space Systems Operations (MSSSO) program.
**International Students: Ensure that you read and understand the eligibility requirements and application process.
- Baccalaureate Degree (BA or BS)
- GPA of 2.6 or better
- Completion of mathematics through integral calculus plus at least one course in calculus-based physics
$2,250 per student/course.