Captain Kline, USN (ret) is Director for Maritime Defense and Security Research Programs. Under the NPS National Security Institute, he oversees over fifteen different research initiatives ranging from international maritime security operations to maritime domain awareness. This interdisciplinary group includes faculty and students from all NPS Graduate schools and over five hundred off-campus participants representing all levels of government, academia, and international partners. Field experimentation programs enhancing maritime interdiction operations, local port information sharing symposia, underwater surveillance system development, piracy studies, maritime operational decision aid development, environmental effects on maritime sensors, maritime IEDs, red cell programs and maritime data base analysis are just a few of the programs falling under the Maritime Defense and Security Research initiative.
- 2009 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Homeland Security Award
- 2007 Hamming Award for interdisciplinary research
- 2007 Wayne E. Meyers Award for Excellence in Systems Engineering Research
- 2005 Northrop Grumman Award for Excellence in Systems Engineering
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “Maritime Security.” Securing Freedom in the Global Commons. Ed. Scott Jasper. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2010. 67-82.
- Brown, Gerald G., Jeffrey E. Kline, Richard Rosenthal, and Alan R. Washburn. "Steaming on Convex Hulls." Interfaces 37.4 (2007): 342-52.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “Educating Today’s Leaders…Well, Today!” Phalanx Dec. 2005: 7.
- Brown, Gerald G., Matthew W. Carlyle, Douglas Diehl, Jeffrey E. Kline, Kevin R. Wood. “A Two-Sided Optimization for Theater Ballistic Missile Defense.” Operations Research 53.5 (Sept.-Oct. 2005): 745-63.
- Bachmann, Richard J., Frank J. Boria, Peter G. Ifju, Roger D. Quinn, Jeffrey E. Kline, and Ravi Vaidyanathan. “Utility of a Sensor Platform Capable of Aerial and Terrestrial Locomotion.” International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Monterey, CA, July 2005.
- Calvano, Chuck, Jeffrey E. Kline, Dave Olwell, and Mark Stevens. “Naval Postgraduate School Aims at Real-World Defense Problems.” Proceedings Feb 2005: 80-1.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “Operational Art: The Bridge Between Deterministic Combat Analysis and the actual Complex Adaptive System known as War.” Nov. 2004.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “JTF Commander: “Send Me Our Combat Analysts.”” Phalax March 2003: 15&19.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “We Need High-Speed Vessels Again.” Proceedings March 2002: 110-111.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “Joint Vision 2010 and Accelerated Cumulative Warfare.” Washington DC: National Defense University Press, 1997.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “La Guerra Del Pacifico Campana Para el Control Del Mar.” Revista de Marina June 1997: 563-69.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “Maritime Forces,” Annual Report to the President and the Congress 1996. Ed. William J. Perry. Washington DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1996.
- Kline, Jeffrey E. “Failure Rates Of Electro-mechanic Connectors in the MK48 Torpedo.” MORS Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, 1992.